Author Topic: James Henry HOLGATE  (Read 10826 times)

Offline stephen_wsi

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Henry HOLGATE
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 July 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am Emma Woolerton's g-g-g-grandson. I see you have been grappling with the same questions regarding proof of her relationship with Joseph Stretton as I have.

I am currently doing a 3 week tour of the UK, visiting some of the villages associated with the Woolerton and the Holgates. I was in Whitwick last week. The house that Emma Woolerton (and Ellen/Joseph Stretton) was at in 1851 is still there.

By the way, family lore has it that the Holgates were Quakers. This might explain why we can't find their marriage certificate.

I have pictures of the house and Margaret Holgate, my g-g-grandmother.

Incidentally, Emma Wollerton went from rags to riches. Her two husbands were both workers on the Settle-Carlisle railway it seems. When Emma and George (the ex-lodger) went to Scrattage it seems George become a succesful contractor and their daughters married into rich families. Margaret didn't, however, staying at home with her mother Emma until late in life. She eventually married a James Beasley. I was born in Isleworth, just next to Heston (where Scrattage Farm use to lie).

By the way, someone has researched the Strettons way back. Only for me (us) the critical question is if Joseph Stretton really was her father.

A kind lady in Whitwick has given me a contact in the local history society. Perhaps this will yield something.

Regards

Stephen Hart