Author Topic: Church of Scotland- Completed with thanks  (Read 14713 times)

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church of Scotland- Completed with thanks
« on: Wednesday 06 June 07 21:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how to get some information on my G.G.G. Grandfather Murdoch (John) McLeod .  My information says he died 1820 in Midlothian Edinburgh and it was taken from the general registry in Edinburgh information from the Church of Scotland.  Is it possible to get the information from the church without visiting Scotland.

McLeod/Syme

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Church of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi McLeod/Syme

It should be possible if you know which church but you;d need to write to them (snail mail) and it also depends on the minister's willingness to do for you!

An alternative might be to contact the National Archives in Scotland. they will do straighforward queries by email. http://www.nas.gov.uk/

Good luck

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Mcleod/Syme

You can email NAS Edinburgh(google it for email address).I was very successfull with my interest in a Minister about the same era.I was also successfull with contacting the Library and Church of Scotland offices(principal clerks office),Edinburgh(again google for Library and Church of Scotland offices).Your John Murdoch Mcleod should be in the Fasti Ecclesiae or The Annal of Original Succesion,mention the years in which he was a minister so a search can be done for the appropriate Fasti or The Annals of Original Succession Church.Try a google on your Minister as well as mine came up.If I can think of anything else,as my search was a while ago,Iwill let you know.   Fiona

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 07 15:14 BST (UK) »
Ann Baker and Fiona Guthrie

Thank you very much for the information on contacting the Church of Scotland.  I live in Canada so this is certainly a lot cheaper than a trip to Scotland.

Thank you

McLeod/Syme

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 June 07 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi McLeod/Syme,

Do you have any other information about Murdoch (John) MCLEOD at all?

Was the death record from a Parish Register?  If so, which parish?

Any snippets of information you can provide might help RootsChatters to help you  :)

JAP 

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 July 07 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP

I received the only information on Murdoch (John) McLeod after my Aunts who had done the research had died.  I do know he got married at Edinburgh, Parish of Holyroodhouse or Canongate- Old Kirk Parish.

I do not have a death record only a piece of paper and they had wrote he died 1820 in Midlothan Edinburgh and info was taken from the general registry in Edinburgh and info from the Church of Scotland.  I'm sorry I was not more interested in the history when someone was alive I could ask how they got this information and why only written on a piece of paper and not some kind of certificate.

I did receive some help from Ann Baker and she suggested I contact the National Archives in Scotland.  I think to get any information it will cost some money and this probably is the  route I will have to take, which is still cheaper than a plane trip to Scotland.

Thank you very much for your interest

McLeod/Syme

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 July 07 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi yet again McLeod/Syme,

I'm trying to get this sorted out in my head  ;D

Is Murdoch (John) MCLEOD the father of the John MCLEOD who married Catharine SYME?  And is John an alternative given name or is it his middle name?

From the IGI on FamilySearch:
Catharine SYME (father James) marriage (or Banns called) John MCLEOD, 28 Feb 1831, Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian
And probably the same couple with Banns also called:
Catherine SYM marriage John MCLEOD, 26 Feb 1831, Gorbals, Lanarkshire

From one of the threads mentioned above, it is stated that John was described as a "merchant of Glasgow' in a marriage record.
Both these records could be viewed on ScotlandsPeople - they might provide some additional information but it is a bit of a lottery whether or not OPR (Old Parish Register) records will contain anything of use.

John and Catharine had at least the following children (from the IGI) - both baptized at Oldham St Presbyterian, Liverpool, Lancashire:
Murdoch MACLOOD, b 19 Dec 1833, bap 24 Jun 1834
Thomas Syme MAC LEOD, b 6 Dec 1837, bap 3 Apr 1838

Thomas's birth was after the start of Civil Registration in England.  It appears on FreeBMD at:
http://www.freebmd.rootsweb.com/
Thomas Syme McLEOD, birth, Liverpool, Vol 20, Page 274

Do you have John & Catharine and family in the 1841 census - England or Scotland?  This might give an idea of John's age etc.

Where did John die (it is suggested elsewhere that Catherine was widowed in 1844) and might there be a Monumental Inscription which would throw light on his ancestry?

I am wondering how you know that John's father was called Murdoch, and how you know that Murdoch was married in Edinburgh?  Any snippets you can provide might help RootsChatters to help you.  There is a marriage of a Murdoch MCLEOD in Canongate, Edinburgh to a Jean FERGUSON in 1797 - but it's anyone's guess whether this is your Murdoch.

The Latter Day Saints have filmed the registers of Canongate including Burials at the time you mention.  You could order these in to your nearest LDS Family History centre (locations are on the FamilySearch site) for a small charge and see whether you can find Murdoch ...

Regards,

JAP

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 July 07 21:43 BST (UK) »
hi JAP

The Murdoch McLeod who married Jean Ferguson in 1797 is the father of John who married Catharine Syme and are my relations

My Aunts did make some trips to Scotland and any info I have they found and typed on a piece of paper and I received them when they died so I have no one to ask how they found the info.  The mix up about Murdochs first name also came to me typed on a piece of paper and it was about the death of his daughter Jane (McLeod) Syme, it said her father was John McLeod deceased her mother was Jean McLeod (nee Ferguson) deceased taken from the Register of Deaths for the Parish PrestonPans in the county of Haddington.  I'm wondering if it was a typing error since you would think Murdoch would give his correct first name for his marriage announcement, so probably his middle name was John. 

I was also told ( on a piece of paper) that his fathers name was John and was born at Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis and was told good luck trying to find out anything about a John McLeod on the Isle of Lewis

Thanks for your help

Helen