Author Topic: OLIVER GOLDSMITH 1728-1774 - "Vicar of Wakefield" - Poet  (Read 3034 times)

Offline cguil_uk

• RootsChat Member
  • Molyneux Family of S Lancashire, England
    • View Profile
OLIVER GOLDSMITH 1728-1774 - "Vicar of Wakefield" - Poet
« on: Thursday 07 June 07 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Whilst researching my maternal family roots (GRIFFITH, HAYDEN, COWLARD families) I came across an old letter, written by my late aunt, that seem to suggest that we were related, in someway, to this famous poet.

Unfortunately, my records do not go far enough back to tie in with Oliver, so I would welcome any suggestions etc.

Anyone done any research on Oliver?

His father was Curate to rector of Kilkenny West.

Moderator Comment:
If anybody can help, then please check out the thread in the Common Room as well,
to avoid duplication of efforts. Thanks :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,237205.0.html
I am researching the family named Molyneux (or possibly Molineux, Molineaux and Molyneaux (or with 2'LL's or without the 'X')), of South East Lancashire (Wigan, Pemberton and Ormskirk area), England.

Also researching; Fairhurst, Lancaster (Lancaster-Fairhurst), Griffith and Hayden (Haydon)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: OLIVER GOLDSMITH 1728-1774 - "Vicar of Wakefield" - Poet
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi cguil_uk,

An article about Oliver on the Wikipedia site says Oliver's Grandfather Oliver Jones was a clergyman and master of the Elphin diocesan school.

His place of birth hasn't been established. It was either ...
1. Pallas townland, nr Ballymahon, Co. Longford, where his father was an Anglican curate of the parish of Forgney or...
2. At his maternal grandparents' home, Smith Hill House, Elphin diocese, Co. Roscommon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Goldsmith#Biography

I looked at The Topographical Dictionary of S. J. Lewis, published in 1837, which is on the 'From Ireland' © website of Dr Jane Lyons. Oliver's father was appointed to the rectory at Kilkenny West in 1730 (two years after Oliver's birth). Oliver's family lived at Lissoy where he received the first part of his education. His brother later followed his father's footsteps and was also a curate at Kilkenny West. Their sister and brother-in-law ... his surname was Hansom lived at Lissoy. www.from-ireland.net/lewis/west/kilkennywest.htm

Christopher