Author Topic: The College, Cobham  (Read 7439 times)

Offline Alex Walker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The College, Cobham
« on: Thursday 07 June 07 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have just located some distant relatives in 'The College, Cobham', in the 1901 census.  They are described as 'Occupants of the College' and along with most of the other residents, as far as I can see, were elderly.  Can anyone shed some light on what this institution was?  It seems to have been next to a workhouse.

Many thanks

Alex  :)

(In case anyone wanted to look the ref is Class: RG13; Piece: 717; Folio: 60; Page: 24)
Kent - Aldington, Bredhurst, Chatham, Gillingham, Hollingbourne, Lynsted, Newington, Rainham, Ramsgate, Smeeth, Snodland, Stockbury, Teynham, Upchurch<br />Surrey - Croydon<br />Sussex - Hellingly, Limspfield<br />Names - Chambers, Flynn, Giblett, Hart, Hodgman, Goldsmith, Lacy, Tucker, Hales, Callaway, Hubbard, Mudge, Wills, Barnden

Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The College, Cobham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 07 12:17 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 07 12:21 BST (UK) »

Offline Alex Walker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 07 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help, I do know Cobham Village, but had no idea about 'The College', and it is very nice, especially the pubs!

Cheers for the references, particularly the photo!

Alex
Kent - Aldington, Bredhurst, Chatham, Gillingham, Hollingbourne, Lynsted, Newington, Rainham, Ramsgate, Smeeth, Snodland, Stockbury, Teynham, Upchurch<br />Surrey - Croydon<br />Sussex - Hellingly, Limspfield<br />Names - Chambers, Flynn, Giblett, Hart, Hodgman, Goldsmith, Lacy, Tucker, Hales, Callaway, Hubbard, Mudge, Wills, Barnden

Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 June 07 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex.
My grandmother lived there!You had to live in one of the parishes of the Medway Towns to get in.Each home was names after a parish,my grandmother lived in Cooling.But she had been born in Strood,so not sure why she was in Cooling!She lived there from c 1950 to c 1970 when she went into a nursing home.She was Lena Elizabeth Marsh nee Illman,she died in 1976 ages 94.I remember my visit to her very well,she did great sunday lunch.
I know it was very old and while my grandmother was there it was up dated.
I have alot of connection with Cobham,it is a lovely village.I was married there in 1970,my first child was baptised there in 1972.
My brother went to school there and went to my gran's for his lunch.
My grandfather and grandmother from the other side of my family were buried there in 1954 and 1963.
The last time I went to Cobham was in 2000 and it still looked untouched!
I now live in Perth Australia!
             Regards Jean.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 June 07 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean
It is still very much the same in the village.  The surrounding area by Cobham Hall has totally changed.  Most of the lovely wooded parts have been ploughed up and done away with, all to do with the modernisation of the road system to do with the rail link.  Such a shame really, ponds filled in, trees gone.

You wouldn't know where Cobham College is until you walk through that little wooden door..... lovely little place :)

Best wishes..... Iris :)
Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 June 07 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Iris.
So sad to hear,as a child went for many walks in Cobham woods with my dad.It all started when I still live in the area when they built the M2!

Yes the college was through alittle door behind the church.Do you know if its still there and do the elderly live there still.

Regards Jean.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 June 07 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Yes..... it is still there and as far as I know still houses the elderly :)

When you open the door and look round the little courtyard, it is like stepping back in time.... shut away from this horrible world as it is now days. 

You wouldn't know the M2 if you saw it now.  Train tracks, horrible bridges etc:
Do you remember "Laughing Waters" it is now called "Inn on the Lake" a glorified motel/ function place.  At least the lakes are still there though :)

Take care.... Iris :)
Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire