Author Topic: Hulks surname  (Read 3765 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hulks surname
« on: Thursday 07 June 07 19:51 BST (UK) »
I have the Hulks family in my family tree but I know very little about the surname origins or its meaning. I know that it comes from the South-East of England (in fact, according to Spatial Literacy, in 1881 the only sizeable group of Hulks was in Hertfordshire).

Anyone have any information? I know of a website called porpoisehead.net or something where someone has my Hulks ancestors listed (I assume they are also a descendant).

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Hulks surname
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen, this site was recently highlighted on one of the forums; really useful for looking up surname origins
http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Hulks

regards
MarMnkly :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helen125

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 July 13 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya  :)
Hope you are well.
I think I may be able to help you, I have family in Hertfordshire that before married were Hulks.

(*)

Horace A Hulks was born dec 1917 Rotherdam and died Mar 1955 age 37

Horace A Hulks parents Horace W Hulks married a women with the maiden name of Allen in sept 1916 in Rotherdam.  Horace William Hulks was born march 1897 and died Mar 1968 aged 71

His parents I think are William Hulks and Sarah Hulks.
I hope this helps and maybe you can shed some light also on the Hulks family tree.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 July 13 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Before a moderator removes ( most of ) your post
( Rootschat has a rule about posting details of living persons - security & anti-spam )
..... wasn't it Rotherham not Rotherdam? Ellen Allen 1916.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).