Author Topic: Letman Chemist of Saltney  (Read 11739 times)

Offline alderjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Letman Chemist of Saltney
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
Edward baptised 15/5/1785 Hawarden, died 07/11/1846 buried 11/11/46 no stone found.
will at Aberystwyth as per previous reply.
John has stone in churchyard as per mis accessible on web It says died 04/07/1812 aged 84
so born 1738 (buried 6/7/12) wife Maria and much later descendent Katherine Jones

Offline vonne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
 Further update on the Letmans .

At present I am trying to find out where John (1738 ) trained as a Chemist ?

It may be that he trained i abroad  and then came over to England Hence some children being born in the st Catherines area of London(near to the Tower of London ).At  that  time  education in Chemistry was lead by German University ie Leiden but also by  Paris .By the mid 1700's several people were practicing and teaching Chemistry in the London area ie peter Shaw 1694 1763.

However, it is also possible that he was part of the Letman family who lived in  the St Catherines  area -a Jewish origin family , who made life easier for themselves by adapting the church of England in the late 1700's ?
Various nationalities have been suggested for John including  English ,German .Swiss,French  etc, from different groups of the descendants of the family .

I now have a vast amount of information about this family and hope to construct a family web site later this year .Any help greatly appreciated.  :)
Gillam    Rossett / Chester
Letman    Hawarden/Crewe
Hamnett    - Wrenbury Cheshire
Southwards   Ulpa  Cumbria
Wakeley    Midands/ Barrow in Furness
Nicholson   Gosforth
Cornthwaite   Caton
Beard  Rottingtdean/Sussex
Nevell   Brighton /Chester
Birch  Fitz /Baschurch
Brookes   Over Cheshire
Jackson   Leighton Cheshire
Green  Hammar Flintshire
Jones  Kinderton Cheshire

Offline alderjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 April 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
to correct my previous reply - John was74 asper gravestone not 84!

Offline catedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 August 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi 

I have Letman connections too and have been researching them recently.  I am so hoping that this thread is still active.  I am Cathy, my paternal Grandmother was Florence Sandford, nee Letman, the daughter of John, son of Isaac, son of Edward the chemist, so John Letman would have been my g/g/g/g/g grandfather.  My branch of the Letmans moved from Crewe to Belfast some time after 1911.  They were still in Crewe at the time of the census, the surname is recorded on that census as "Le Aman" but corrected to Letman.  If there is any further information on the Letmans of Saltney and connections I would so love to hear it.  This is Florence on her wedding day and her brother Isaac is the witness.