Author Topic: 1901 Cavan census - Knocknalosset (Knockbride parish) - LUCAS  (Read 15009 times)

Offline geolojee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Cavan census - Knocknalosset (Knockbride parish) - LUCAS
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
As mentioned in a direct message to “T R Lucas,” I haven’t been on this site in “yonks”…certainly BC (Before COVID)…looks like October 2015. I trust that you and yours have come through okay and that vaccinations are being enjoyed by all who can.

Several things have become apparent to me through either reading things posted here more carefully or various experiences I have been fortunate to enjoy since my posting my initial “Reply.”

As “aghadowey” correctly pointed out, the  grandfather of “T R Lucas” was the brother (11 years younger) of John William Lucas (my maternal grandfather).

These brothers were two of the children of John William Lucas (the elder), who is mentioned in 1901 Census as “Head of Household” with wife, Mary Jane, in Knocknalossett.

“tyler35” (George) is my second cousin. His parents, Robert and Brenda, in Hillsborough are my cousins (Robert being the son of my Uncle Bobby and Auntie Lily, as “tyler35” said. Naomi and Salfran are “tyler35”’s aunts (Robert’s sisters).

His paternal grandfather, however, is John Wm. (the younger), not the younger brother, Thomas Robert, who is “T R Lucas”’s grandfather.

So, as to my “fortunate experiences,” in August 2018, my wife, Susan, and I made a trip from Houston, Texas, USA (our home) to Ireland. It was the first time I was there, since my Mother, sisters and I lived in Strangford, County Down, while my Dad was in Vietnam with the US Air Force. That was 1968-69, when I was 13 and in 3rd form at the Down High. Half a century hence!

We stayed in Newcastle and were able to see several many (sadly, not all) of my MANY cousins. Everyone was most gracious to us and we had a “grand” time.

A particular highlight was spending the day with my Hillsborough cousins (George & Letty, Robert & Brenda, Naomi & Salfran and probably several others whom I shamefully neglect to name, not counting the children and grandchildren of the aforementioned).

Later during our visit to Ireland, we drove to Cootehill, County Cavan. I had made arrangements with the Church of Ireland parishes, there, and two very kind folk, who remembered being neighbors of the Lucas’s there, chauffeured me about to Drumgoon Cemetery, Dernikesh Chapel of Ease and the old Lucas farmhouse and shop. Fantastic!!

I hope y’all check this site sometime, soon; I would love to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Lucas Jee

Offline buckfuzby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonathan its Andrew Lucas from the UK ( son of James Lucas) it would be great to discuss further as I have completed some research on the Lucas family

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 July 21 07:38 BST (UK) »

John William LUCAS………….
married 4 Oct 1877 Knockbride Church Of Ireland Parish Church, County Cavan
Mary Jane BODELL b. 1852 Drumhillagh North, Knockbride Parish…………

John William LUCAS married Mary Jane BODLE. Fathers John Lucas and William Bodle were farmers. Mary living at Drumhillagh townland, John living at Knocknalosset townland.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11149/8083945.pdf

https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/clankee/knockbride/canningstown/drumhillagh/
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/clankee/knockbride/corraneary/knocknalosset/

Drumhillagh is SW of Knocknalosset and about 5-6 km away.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5732338#map=13/53.9939/-6.9977

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo