Author Topic: 1881 census look-up --S. Leith  (Read 2039 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1881 census look-up --S. Leith
« on: Saturday 09 June 07 02:07 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any type of access to the 1881 census for S.Leith,Midlothian?
I tried the LDS site ,no luck and my last resort  will be to "pay the piper"at Scts.
Ances,does not show the original,just a print out.

I am looking to find :
JANE DICKSON age 63,supposedly born 1818 in Hutton ,Berwick. address 8 Elbe Street,
occupation,Annuitant.
What I want to know is..is she living alone or are there others in the household,if so who.
Thanks so much in advance....
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census look-up --S. Leith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 June 07 12:54 BST (UK) »
There are 6 separate households at that address.  Jane is the only one in her particular household and shown as a widow.

The others are all families: a yarn dyer, a coachman, a carter and two joiners.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 07 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for that info.
I,ve had her paper trailed from birth (1815),through marriage  to John Mills (no date yet) to her death in 1896....BUT...could not find her in 1881...Yikes.....she used her maiden name this year....interesting...but I am very sure that is her.
The annuity bit is the clincher.
Again,MANY thanks.!!
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 07 15:06 BST (UK) »
Little Nell.....were any of those other families living at the same address named MILLS?
Again thanks for looking!! :)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 June 07 22:17 BST (UK) »
No, 'fraid not.  No-one named Mills living in the same street even.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 June 07 23:40 BST (UK) »
That is OK...thought I should check any how...one never knows.
Thanks again for your time.
I found her and that is what really counts.