Author Topic: Headbourn(e) Worthy late 1700's  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Graeme Smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Currently living in Latvia
    • View Profile
Headbourn(e) Worthy late 1700's
« on: Tuesday 07 December 04 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered today that one of my ancestors, John Philpot was probably born in the above village.  In 1851 Census of Whitby, North Yorkshire he is listed as being 70 years old and it has "Hampshire, Edbourne Worthy" as his place of birth.

Obviously this puts him as being born in around 1781.

I have no idea where I can go for further information about this particular ancestor.  I've no idea when he moved to Whitby or anything else about him.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can proceed?

Graeme
Smith, Falgate, Kirby, Whomes, Grimble, Crisp in Norfolk
Hoyes in Lincolnshire
Beechey in Oxfordshire
Barber, Baker, Innes, Miller, Sheerman in London/Middlesex
Estill in North Yorkshire
Fellows in Staffordshire
Wood/Woodstock, Wardhaugh in Co Durham

Offline Liam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Headbourn(e) Worthy late 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered today that one of my ancestors, John Philpot was probably born in the above village.  In 1851 Census of Whitby, North Yorkshire he is listed as being 70 years old and it has "Hampshire, Edbourne Worthy" as his place of birth.

Obviously this puts him as being born in around 1781.

I have no idea where I can go for further information about this particular ancestor.  I've no idea when he moved to Whitby or anything else about him.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can proceed?

Graeme

You'll have to use parish records, which is where it gets much harder  :)

Parish records are a bit patchy on the internet. The IGI is one good source and in fact I found two 'Fillpots' with a father John by going through this site:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyYorkshire_(T-Z).htm#W

...and looking in the records for Whitby. I'll leave you to find them yourself cos I always think that's the fun part. Just one warning though, don't trust IGI entries that say they are 'submitted' entries in the 'Messages' part of the record page, 'extracted' entries are usually considered reliable though of course few transcriptions are ever totally error-free.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask if I haven't been clear about something. I'm not entirely sure about dealing with parish records off-line so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

Liam
London(Wapping, Whitechapel, Camberwell): Collins, Ryan, Sullivan.
Wiltshire(Bradford, North Bradley): Turner.
Hampshire(Alton): Warner.