Author Topic: Death certificate details  (Read 849 times)

Offline sew76

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death certificate details
« on: Saturday 09 June 07 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right place.  If not, sorry, 1st time   ::)
I'm not doing too badly on my research so far, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to find out more details about a death certificate before ordering???
I have a few possibilities for the John Cook I'm looking for, between 1841 & 1851, but obviously, the name is not uncommon. 
Preferably, I'd like to cut down the options a bit, instead of wasting money on the luck of the draw.  Anyone have any ideas? :-\

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate details
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 June 07 15:38 BST (UK) »
If you know where he is likely to have been buried, and ask for a burial look-up eg on the NBI, you might narrow it down that way.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 07 15:50 BST (UK) »
If you are going to order it from the GRO at Southport, this is what they say in FAQs
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faqs.asp#bmd9
How will I know if I have found the entry I want?
If you have done your own searching in the GRO indexes and have found more than one reference to the name you are researching, or are unsure which is the entry you require, we offer reference checking online. The charge is £7 for action on the first entry, which includes the cost of the certificate, and £3 for checking each subsequent reference against the information you have provided. To enable us to do this, you must give us one piece of information that you are sure will appear on the certificate, e.g. the exact date of the event.
A certificate will only be issued if the entry we check matches the checking point you give us.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 07 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi sew76

Welcome to RootsChat.

When you are looking for a death this early there is not too much you an check on apart from the place of death.  As Gallium said, probably better to try and find out where he was buried, then you can get the details from the burial register.

Local councils are usually very helpful when it comes to locating burials if you can give them an approximate date.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA