Author Topic: Black Mountain, Cefn Calanog 1861 census  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Black Mountain, Cefn Calanog 1861 census
« on: Saturday 09 June 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hello

An ancestor of mine, Alfred John Jones b 25/12/1854 Velindre, Radnorshire, was living with his family (father William Jones, tailor) at Black Mountain, Cefn Calanog in 1861. Reference is: 1861 Wales census RG9/4234 Folio 29 page 7 (no. of schedule 25). The reason I am posting to the Shropshire board is, although it features in a Wales census, Cefn Calanog is actually in the Parish of Bettws-y-Crwyn Shropshire

I noticed in the census that there were several addresses called Black Mountain and am interested to find out what these were: cottages, farm buildings or a roadway - maybe something of that type. They appear on different pages of the census so they may not be a block of buildings together in one place. Just before and after this entry is something called Pentiken and something called Riddin, which apparently means cleared land.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk