Author Topic: Myler Park  (Read 9057 times)

Offline Jackie464

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Myler Park
« on: Sunday 10 June 07 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All, I am trying to find any information about a house called Myler Park (spelling my be wrong)

I believe it is, or was, in New Ross, Wexford.  Also about a family DUNN who I believe lived there, and a family WHITE who may have at one time been servants there.  In hope - Jackie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Myler Park
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 07 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Jackie,
the index to the 1901 census at  http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com

shows a Patrick Dunn and Mary Ann wife living at Mylerspark, Old Ross. Mylerspark is the townland - there may well have been a big house there but there are several families living in the townland - no Whites though.

Griffiths Valuation (taken 1850-60s) has 3 Dunne in Mylerspark but no White  http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 07 22:35 BST (UK) »
The White family would not be listed if they were servants living in the house of the Dunne family.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 07 18:25 BST (UK) »
Christopher,
Mylerspark seems to be a townland rather than a house. The census on Leitrim Roscommon site is only an index and just indicates that the Dunns lived in that townland.
Jackie,
I hoope you read this and let us know the years you are interested in and if there is any more information.

best wishes
heywood

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 07 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Jackie,

the index to the 1901 census at  http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com shows a Patrick Dunn and Mary Ann wife living at Mylerspark, Old Ross. Mylerspark is the townland - there may well have been a big house there but there are several families living in the townland - no Whites though.

Griffiths Valuation (taken 1850-60s) has 3 Dunne in Mylerspark but no White  http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

best wishes
heywood

I gathered that from your message, heywood. It doesn't matter whether it was a townland or a house.
There are three Dunne families listed ... presumbably with a roof over their heads and no White families listed. Therefore the White family could well have been under the roof of one of a Dunne family. The full Valuation will reveal the size of the properties that James, Michael and Thomas Dunne had in the townland.
Jackie, do you know if one of the White children was a James, Michael or Thomas ???

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
I meant the 1901 census re the servants and Griffiths for any Whites living in Mylerspark.
It's difficult isn't it because we don't know the years Jackie wants.
For example, in 1901 there is a Patrick Dunn, master shoemaker, in New Ross with his wife and a lodger called White - their servant is called Murphy.
We'll have to await Jackie's response.
cheers
heywood  ;)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 June 07 21:56 BST (UK) »
just had another browse and quickly reviewed this site / entry re the name Myler:

http://www.jenforum.org/mealer/messages/27.html

1783- Piers Myler leases the  'Folly House'
1801- sells lease to Laurence Dunn

so if this is the Dunn connection it's way before the times that we have looked at.

Offline Jackie464

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi – can I thank everyone for their help!  Also apologise, I have written a long reply TWICE and twice it has disappeared into the ether – so if it gets there this time this will be my third attempt

Having not been brought up with my family, about 6 months ago I found my brother and later an elder half sister.  I am researching my half-sister’s Quinn (Liverpool and Ireland) family for her. 

She has just stayed with us for a week and we took her to Liverpool to see the houses she lived in as a child, the places where her ancestors lived and to meet and 88 year old cousin.

This cousin turned out to be a wonderful lady – one of those people who you could listen to for hours and hours!  I and several of the other researchers of this Quinn family have had a problem with a White family from Ireland who married into the Quinn family.  In Sept 1861 Maria White married Peter Quinn in Liverpool and became my half-sister’s great grand parents.  Maria white has also been a mystery.  I know she was 30 when she and Peter married, and came from Ireland.  She doesn’t figure in the 1851 census and prior to her marriage was hired by Peter Quinn as a servant, looking after the two young daughters he had with his 1st wife who died in 1858.  On their marriage certificate her father is listed as Thomas White, farmer.  Another brick wall also concerns the White’s.  In 1880 in Liverpool, Catherine White, believed to be Maria’s sister married Daniel Cunningham.  In 1881 they had a son also Daniel, both parents died of consumption in 1884.  Son Daniel went to live with Maria White and Peter Quinn and is listed as grandson.

This is where I come back to Mylerspark.  When visiting Queenie she told me of being told many years ago “never forget that you are related to the Dunne’s of Mylerspark”.  She also remembers relatives visiting the house there many years ago.  It has been something that she has always wondered about and asked me if I could possibly find out what I could about the family and Mylerspark.  She also told me that the White family had also lived there and were possibly servants to the Dunns.

I phoned Queenie this morning and she remembers the names Patrick and Mary Ann Dunn, but not the name ‘Folly House’, she always thought that Mylerspark was the house name. 

I now have a photo of the house which I am attaching.  The lady at the gate is another relative, May Breen.

I hope this makes sense – and actually ‘gets there’ this time!  Jackie

Offline Jackie464

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 07 10:55 BST (UK) »
Quick additional note - how do I find the 1901 Irish census?  I am hopeless at finding anything to do with ancestors from Ireland.  My own maternal grandparent's came from Newfoundland, but originally Ireland.  Name of DOHEY, I can find nothing at all and would love to find out which area they might have come from - Jackie