Author Topic: Myler Park  (Read 9055 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Myler Park
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 June 07 11:05 BST (UK) »
Quick additional note - how do I find the 1901 Irish census?  I am hopeless at finding anything to do with ancestors from Ireland.  My own maternal grandparent's came from Newfoundland, but originally Ireland.  Name of DOHEY, I can find nothing at all and would love to find out which area they might have come from - Jackie

It's possible your maternal grandparent's ancestors were from Co. Wexford, Jackie.

On June 17th, 2000, forty three members of the Carrigbyrne Pike Group of Wexford and officials from Ireland helped the Irish Newfoundland Association mark the 200th anniversary of an attempted mutiny in the garrison at St. John’s, and unveiled a plaque marking the site of the event.

See the full article "Irish delegation to attend plaque unveiling" dated June 16th in the Release Archive section 12th - 18th June 2000 of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador - Canada website.

The spelling of the name may have changed too. Griffith's Valuation of Ireland doesn't show Dohey but shows the name Dooey in Co. Waterford when the Valuation took place in the county in 1848-51. 

Christopher

Offline Jackie464

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 June 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
It would appear that the houses at Mylerspark are still there and protected:

Link - http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/DraftDevelopmentPlan2007-2013/DraftPlanDocuments/RecordofProtectedStructures/Thefile,4495,en.pdf

The record of protected structures includes:

WCC0798 Seventeenth Century
Houses 17
Mylerspark Mylerspark

Jackie

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 June 07 19:40 BST (UK) »
I've found a satellite picture of Mylerspark as well as a list of places in the area. Mylerspark is about three to seven miles from Duncormuck. It is a very small place with a little church with well kept headstones and a beautiful cemetery.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 June 07 19:48 BST (UK) »
yes I saw those Jackie last night but wasn't sure exactly what they were about. I suppose it would be worth writing about them to ask.

What a sad tale about Catherine White.
Her marriage is on Free BMD - June quarter 1879- West Derby 8b 771.

I have a few thoughts.
Has Catherine's marriage certificate been checked re her father's name.
If she is the one in 1881 married to Daniel and with a son Daniel she is born in Liverpool abt 1858. Mind you errors do happen. She is also quite a few years younger than Maria. So I wonder then are they really sisters.

Maria is 1861 as an aunt in Peter Quinn's household. (it would mean aunt to him but of course she would be aunt to the children) She may well have been related and then married him. Also Peter is born Liverpool.

I keep trying to write this but you and Christopher are took quick and I have to keep stopping.

The Dunn(e)s may be the same ones - but they are in 1901 census which is quite a bit later than Maria and Catherine's time. He is 40- being born around 1861. It's all still a bit complicated isn't it.
After this ramble - nothing has come out of it- I would perhaps try to find out from Ireland re the cottages.

Will have another think
best wishes
heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jackie464

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 June 07 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood

There us definitely more than a possibility that Catherine is Maria's daughter (prob. illegitimate).  The record in 1861 isn't 'aunt', but an abbrevaition for 'servant' - check the same writing further along the record.

I had the reference for Catherine and Daniels marriage - I will check around the other researchers first and see if anyone has the actual certificate, if not I have to pay a visit soon to Liverpool Records Office and will check it out there.

Yes I know Peter was born in Liverpool - but his father (also Peter) was def. born in Ireland, c. 1801, but don't know where.  He was certainly living in Liverpool around 1824 ish.

Oh I don't think anything has come of it - I certainly know more about Mylerspark now than I did, I also have the photo which I had never seen, and we klnow def. that Dunn/e family lived there possibly from 1801 onwards, I think thats quite good in my poor experience so far of researching Irish ancestry!  Jackie

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 June 07 23:10 BST (UK) »
I have to confess that I didn't check the actual writing- sorry- I thought they were just being diplomatic  ;)
Yes I wondered if she was the daughter - sounds probable.
The photo is brilliant and I would be thrilled were it me to see that- how fantastic.
Mylerspark townland may be the estate of a larger house with various cottages etc around - perhaps writing to a local newspaper in New Ross may turn something up.
good luck
Kath
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hiya Jackie,

Mylerspark is on the Ordnance Survey Map Wexford West.

It's to the right of New Ross ... you need to scroll down a little to find Mylerspark.

Christopher. 

Offline Jackie464

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher - I found it!  That's brilliant - so it is a tiny place way outside the town.  Many thanks - Jackie

Offline aquarooster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,
Maria White's father was listed as a Thomas White, farmer. Catherine White's father was listed on her marriage certificate to Daniel Cunningham as Henry White, farmer. So, what I suspect is that Catherine White is actually the niece of Maria White, but perhaps due to the deaths of her parents, Catherine was brought up in Maria's house and looked upon her as a mother.

While our cousin Queenie remembers the DUNN name as being associated with our family, I have reason to think that we are also related to a family named DUMPHY or DUNPHY, also from Wexford (New Ross area). In 1890 LIverpool, Maria White/Quinn signed off on a death certificate for a girl named Mary Dumphey, age 22, who died while living at Maria's house. Maria lists herself as aunt, and the father of Mary is listed as one Michael Dumphy. I searched the Irish census in 1901 to see if there was a Michael Dum/Dunphy living in New Ross, and indeed there was. Whether 'DUNN' and 'DUNPHY' has been mixed up over the ensuing years, I don't know. I wish I could say this adds something to the discussion, but I fear we're no further ahead than when we started, at least in terms of solving the White/Dunn/Dunphy mysteries. Anyway, thanks for all of your input - it's certainly been an education reading some of the replies.

Cheers,
Edie