Author Topic: Death records  (Read 642 times)

Offline Amyou

• RootsChat Member
  • Charles Stone, GG Grandfather, 1819 to 1916
    • View Profile
Death records
« on: Sunday 10 June 07 15:09 BST (UK) »
I am having trouble finding out when my Great grandfather Rupert Youers (born 1883) died. He married in 1902, but left his wife Ada for another woman and moved to the north of England. I believe he was still alive in the 50s. How can I find out the year he died, also his wife Ada (born 1885 as Ada Elizabeth Lawrence) they lived in High Wycombe.

thank you
Amyou

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Death records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 June 07 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Amyou

You will probably have to search through the GRO Death Index, which you can do free on Ancestry.co.uk (you will have to create a free registration if you are not a member, but you don't have to subscribe).

As it is not a common name, it should not be too difficult to find.

If you know that Ada never re-married, then you should find her death the same way.  It is time-consuming but, as you will be looking at images of the original index books, you won't have to worry about transcription errors (at least, only original ones!).

If you think he was still alive in the 1950s, try putting in a date range of 1955 +/- 10 years to start with.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Amyou

• RootsChat Member
  • Charles Stone, GG Grandfather, 1819 to 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Death records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 07 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bill. I'll sit and work my way through the lists.
 ;D
Amyou