Author Topic: Birth of Lamb at Haddington 1808  (Read 4888 times)

Offline maxsilver41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth of Lamb at Haddington 1808
« on: Monday 11 June 07 03:39 BST (UK) »
Looking for record of William Lamb, born 1808, at Teanen Haddington (according to 1851 census).
I'm trying trace parents of William. Can anyone help. Thanks.  Max.  Australia ???

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Lamb at Haddington 1808
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 07 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Max

I wonder if William's birth place on the 1851 census has been mistranscribed and should read Tranent. There is a submitted entry on IGI that could be his, with enough data for you to be able to hopefully verify:

William Lamb Birth: 1808 Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland
Death: 19 AUG 1862      
Parents: William Lamb and Maron Smith    
Marriages: Spouse: Janet CRAIG
Marriage: 1830 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland

There are also a number of siblings showing to these parents.

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
Looking at William's 1851 Census entry with wife Janet, it certainly looks like at least some of the submitted IGI details may be correct. Corresponding details for their children showing on IGI.

To parents William Lamb and Janet Craig show the following children. Some names used more than once due to probably early deaths:

1. DAVID LAMB   Birth: 12 SEP 1831/ Christening: 09 OCT 1831 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland
2. GRACE LAMB Birth: 03 MAR 1834/ Christening: 23 MAR 1834 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland
3. GEORGE LAMB Christening: 23 MAR 1834 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland
4. THOMAS LAMB Birth: 19 APR 1836/ Christening: 08 MAY 1836 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland
5. JAMES LAMB Christening: 20 MAY 1838 Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
6. MARGARET LAMB Birth: 1839 /Christening: 14 FEB 1841 Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
7. ALEXANDER LAMB Christening: 05 MAR 1843 Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
8. JOHN LAMB Christening: 13 APR 1845 Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
9. MARION LAMB  Christening: 07 NOV 1847 Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
10. MARION LAMB Christening: 08 JUL 1849 Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 07 22:36 BST (UK) »
The Old Parish Register (OPR) extract on IGI of William and Janet's marriage is as shown previously: 31 DEC 1830 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland.

Janet's father is showing as DAVID CRAIG (no mother's details). There is a possible submitted birth entry for her in Newton in 1807 (as per the family's 1851 census entry) with mother's name as Mary KINGHORN

...I was about to say that the best way of verifying their parents' names would be to look at their death certs on line at Scotlands People...but I don't think they died in Scotland, no entries for them. Did they leave for Australia sometime after the 1851 census? No sign of them in 1861 in Scotland.

Regards.

Monica

Offline maxsilver41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 07 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, Thanks so much for your help.

The family did come to Australia in about 1853. Just the parents, William &, Janet and children, James, Margarent, Alex & John.  From what I found so far, the first 4 born did not. I not know what ever happen to them. Nor did the children, Marion,(2)come, I guess they both died as infants.

What I would like to determine is William's Father, William, where is he from. and his parents, etc. I have a hard time linking one generation back to to previous one when there are several posibilities of people with the same name.
Thank again for your interest and help.
Regards
Max Lamb :)