Author Topic: Esther DAY born circa 1802 Padstow  (Read 17618 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Esther DAY born circa 1802 Padstow
« Reply #45 on: Friday 06 July 07 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Debco

Thank you for your suggestion and what an interesting approach this would be!

Unfortunately, I am a bit far away from the locations that you have mentioned - it's a pity that the records cannot be searched online.

Thanks again

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline debco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 06 July 07 17:20 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean. The shortest distance for me would be a 12 hour drive to Utah. I keep hoping that I'll manage it someday, since I'd love to take a look at Lloyd's register. The Wilson line were mariners of long standing. If I ever get a chance, I'll be sure and do some looking up for everyone I know. Incidentally, the information regarding Robert Falcon Scott was wonderful. No one in the family realized that there was such a close connection to him. His mother would have been a first cousin to my husband's great-great grandfather. Very exciting.

Offline RedBun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I was searching for info on Edwin & Esther Knight when I came across a portion of your posts (now must read the rest): however I've also come across another from the Mayer family tree which pasted link for below - it goes back to 1600's.

http://mayer.familytreeguide.com/getperson.php?personID=I574&tree=T1&PHPSESSID=01a8128e27157f2f44755b7141aae537

My paternal grandfather was born in Oct 1901 and was illegitimate.  His mother - Annie Lizzie Hayes -entered his name as Herbert Knight (father unknown) on his birth cert, but he grew up with the name Hayes.  I know almost nothing about her, but a search of the 1901 census points to a woman with this name being a servant at a Nottingham hospital, a few lines below a Margaretha Gertrude Knight (their daughter) who was a matron there. 

I wondered if one of her younger brothers - the unmarried one?? - visited her there, got to 'know' Lizzie, and along came Herbert 9 months later.  I've also traced her family and some of Edwin and Esther's, and it appears Lizzie was 1 of 15 children to (possibly) descendants of Catholic immigrants, whereas the Knight family were quite well-to-do.  If any of my hypothesis is true then I'm certain Lizzie would not have been a welcome match for the son.

Wouldn't it be great if true, this story was passed down Esther & Edwin’s descendants and they could confirm it!  Even better, a 30 year mystery would end up with me being related to a famous explorer, even if he was a 34th cousin 19 times removed (or whatever!).  I thought many years ago I heard of a Radage – another ancestor name on mum’s side – was a photographer or similar on one of his expeditions: what a neat tie-up that would be.

Anyway, enough of me rambling on: I hope the link is useful to you.

Redbun
LANGWITH, NOTTS - Raddage/Reddish
WESTMINSTER - Chappill
BREADSALL, DERBYS - Patterner/Pettiner; Walker
BRINSLEY, NOTTS - Perkins
KILMARNOCK - Cunnall/Connel; McFarlane/McKay
SUTTON, NOTTS - Goodall
BOLTON, LANCS; STAFFORDSHIRE - Instone
MADELEY, SHROPSHIRE - Rhodes
NOTTS - Hayes' Knight