Author Topic: A 'Miniature Castle' hidden on the Cliffs of Dover  (Read 5629 times)

Offline g a r

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A 'Miniature Castle' hidden on the Cliffs of Dover
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 June 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
Once again, many thanks, John.

Panoramio.com seems to be quite interesting as well. Enjoyed roaming the map and seeing some of the different sights.

cheers,
g a r

Offline Jorolat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Evolution, Psychology, Social Psychology, History
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 June 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
Once again, many thanks, John.

Panoramio.com seems to be quite interesting as well. Enjoyed roaming the map and seeing some of the different sights.

cheers,
g a r

I only really started becoming interested in photography in March and I'm really pleased whenever someone says they like some of the pics so thank you too, Gar!

Panoramio is a pretty good site. Dunno if you've got Google Earth but if you enable "Geographical Content" then Panoramio pics of the part of the world you're looking at pop all over the place.

John Latter

The Court Brothers' hidden Miniature Castle of Dover Folly

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 June 07 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I've was born in Dover and have looked up at those cliffs hundreds of times, but I don't recall ever seeing this folly - several other buildings on the cliff-face though.

I have pictures and history of the Grand Shaft and many different parts of Dover and the surrounding areas on my website: www.eastkent.freeuk.com

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Jorolat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Evolution, Psychology, Social Psychology, History
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 June 07 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I've was born in Dover and have looked up at those cliffs hundreds of times, but I don't recall ever seeing this folly - several other buildings on the cliff-face though.

I have pictures and history of the Grand Shaft and many different parts of Dover and the surrounding areas on my website: www.eastkent.freeuk.com

Regards, Bill

Absolutely brilliant, Bill - thank you very much indeed! :) :)

I lived until I was 3 in a house on the corner of Queen Street and Chapel Place so the first thing I did was zoom in on Albany Place - an absolute delight to see how it used to be!

I don't know how my occasional wanderings haven't led me to your website before (although I most definitely have seen a smaller blurry copy of your Cause Is Altered photo somewhere) but I've bookmarked it and look forward to the weekend when I'll have more time.

Oh, and I'm pleased to introduce you to the "Court's Folly" - I think the building's colour helps it escape casual observation even in the winter when trees are bare.

John Latter

Dover Memorial to Louis Bleriot's first flight across the English Channel (1909).