Author Topic: Between the Censuses  (Read 1367 times)

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Between the Censuses
« on: Tuesday 12 June 07 21:17 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's family lived in Canterbury between the 1861 and 1871 censuses.  Her parents were married in Sussex and the family returned there before 1871.

Does anyone know of any source of information other than the census records for that period.  The children do not appear in the IGI extracted baptismal records for Canterbury.

Jann

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Between the Censuses
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 07 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jann

I'm only a newbie at this myself, but don't forget that people only have to be away on the night of the census to disappear.  I lost my grandmother on one census, and after much searching around I found her and her sister staying with the people living next door to her uncle !  Obviously the uncle didn't have enough room, so the neighbours obliged  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jann

Just because the children don't appear in the IGI doesn't mean they weren't baptised there - the majority of Kent parishes are not included.

There were nearly 20 churches in Canterbury.

Have you looked on freebmd for any births?

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 07 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

thanks for letting me know re:  the Kent parishes not being on IGI.  I have the birth years and places for my grandmother and her siblings.   

I was hoping to find information on their time in Kent because I suspect they went there because of a family connection and I was hoping to find out what, if any, the  connnection was.

Jann