Author Topic: Pre 1837 info  (Read 3821 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pre 1837 info
« on: Wednesday 13 June 07 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just about to start the family hunt pre 1837, as this is new ground for me what should I be looking for?  :P  ???  :P

I know about parish records but what will they tell me? eg I have a marriage in 1836 if I order up the records from my local LDS what info is likely to be on it.

What other documents should I look for?

Regards
Ken

Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 1837 info
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
It depends how conscienscious or lazy the vicar was as to how much information you will find.
I have digital images of many pre 1837 baptism and marriage records, some contain as little as bride and groom's names and others have groom's occupation, parents names, occupations and residence and also witnesses which is a boon as they're often relatives.

good luck,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken - The information given in PR's is variable.  With Marriages you often only get the names of the bride and groom, the Church and date of marriage, the minister and two witnesses.

Baptisms - Date of baptism, Christian name and surname
Parents names. You might find an address and father's occupation if you're lucky. Name of the minister/vicar or whomever.

Burials, again very variable -
Name of deceased, date and place of death, after 1866 his/her age, cause of death, occupation, the name of the person who registered the death. Date death was registered and the registrar.

Suey

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken
The good thing about ploughing through parish registers is that you get a really good picture of the families in the parish. This helps, in particular, to identify whether there are several families with the same name or just one.  Sometimes you will see your relatives names as witnesses to weddings which can be very useful in making connections.
If you are very lucky you may get snippets of extra information.  When I was searching some parish registers there was a note by the burials of 2 little girls (sisters) saying that "they died within 5 hours of each other".  Another note in another parish made the comment that the vicar had buried 4 children from the same family in one year.
Good luck
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 18:56 BST (UK) »
The 1812 Rose's Act required parish incumbents to use specially printed registers, with baptisms, marriages and burials in separate books. These printed registers are much easier to read than earlier registers. The Act required detailed information to be recorded for baptisms and marriages. In addition to the date of the baptism and the child's name, Rose's Act also required the inclusion of the names of the parents, their abode, the father's quality, trade or profession, and the name of the clergyman. Marriage entries had to show the names of the bride and groom, their parishes, date of the marriage, names and signatures or marks of the bride and groom, whether married by banns or licence, names and signatures of marks or the witnesses. If one or both parties to the marriage was a minor, the entry should also indicate the fact that the consent of parents or guardians had been given. Burials show Name, Abode, when Buried, Age, and by Whom the Ceremony was Performed.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 20:52 BST (UK) »
May I humbly suggest that you read this topic:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,54385.0.html

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 June 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
Rena - Suey - Barbara - Stan - Nell

Many thanks for all your replys and advice, now the hard work begins

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline skb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 June 07 20:10 BST (UK) »
ken

Don't know which parishes you're interested in, but www.lan-opc.org.uk has quite a lot of Lancashire stuff and is getting bigger all the time.
Byers (Salford & London)
Stringfellow (Salford & Chorley)
Holmes (Manchester & Birmingham)
Goulding/Golden (Birmingham & Lincolnshire)
Bassett (Manchester & Salford, Staffordshire)
Child (Lincolnshire)
Belshaw (Salford)
Hallsworth (Eccles & Salford)
Vernon (Bury & Chapel en le Frith)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 June 07 20:47 BST (UK) »
Here are some more online parish records:

Topic: How to search online parish records
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,230716.0.html

happy searching  :)
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)