Author Topic: Royal Dockyard Records  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Verna Mac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Royal Dockyard Records
« on: Thursday 14 June 07 08:23 BST (UK) »
Do they exist?

I have a shipwright Peter BUSBY who was a leading man of Shipwrights at the Royal Dockyards (1851 Census) and he was living at Plumstead.
In 1861 he was a Shipwright Pensioner living in Woolwich, as he was in 1871 when his son was also a Shipwright Pensioner.
This leads me to believe that they must have been paying into some fund..........

Also, Peter's father,George, who I can't find anything on at all, was a Caulker....so that points toward working in the Dockyard as well. 

Did the Pensioning off co incide with the closing of Woolwich Dockyard? Do any staff records exist?
COX - Kent, Woolwich
BUSBY - Woolwich
LOXLEY - Kent, Woolwich

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Dockyard Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 07 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Verna

They will probably be at TNA at Kew; here's one of their guidance leaflets to start you off:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=50
There are others so search their catalogue for "dockyards" and check the leaflets.

Good luck

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Dockyard Records
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 07 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Verna

As Colin has indicated, the records are at TNA at Kew.  Being a pensioner does not necessarily mean that he paid into a fund - he may have retired on the grounds of ill-health or injury and was eligible for a pension as a result.  He may also have started his working life elsewhere - Portsea or Chatham for example.  Woolwich closed as a result of the silting up of the Thames and the fact that ships needed to be built somewhat larger than before!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk