Author Topic: Opinions please - are these the same family ?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Opinions please - are these the same family ?
« on: Friday 15 June 07 19:36 BST (UK) »
I'm still struggling to get beyond 1811 on my dad's side.

Could someone please look at the 1841 and 1851 Eltham, Kent census extracts, and tell me if they think this is the same family ?

Both families live in the same building.  The names of the parents are the same.  The ages don't match up.  In 1841 both are born in Kent, and in 1851, one is born in London, and the other somewhere indecipherable !

Any comments, suggestions please ?

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions please - are these the same family ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 07 19:49 BST (UK) »
don't forget that adults ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 or 0 so if someone was 24 they would have been listed as 20

also if the census was taken for example on 1st March one yearand then 1st April the next and the persons birth was in between these dates then the ages would be out slightly also.

do you think the second place of birth is wiltshire then town or town then suffolk?

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 07 20:21 BST (UK) »
I think the first word could be Flintshire, or Herefordshire, or possibly Hertfordshire.  Problem is that I don't think there's a "Chippen" in any of them.  The nearest would be "Chipping" in Hertfordshire.  There is a clue in the 1861 census for Eltham - there is a William & Mary Martin staying with an Amy Martin in Eltham High Street, and both Amy Martin and Mary come from "Chipping Herefordshire" and William comes from "Middlesex London". Trouble is that there is no Chipping in Herefordshire.

Should I deduce that William does indeed come from Middlesex ?

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 07 21:00 BST (UK) »
there ar eplenty of chippings around, chipping norton, chipping camden, chipping sodbury i think these are in the Cotswolds which includes Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Worcestershire
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive