Author Topic: Lookups?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Lookups?
« on: Friday 15 June 07 20:28 BST (UK) »

I'm still not clear on this.
Under what circumstances should I post a lookup request as opposed to "does anyone have any information on....?" type query.  ???
Dave

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Lookups?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 07 20:34 BST (UK) »
Have you found the family you are looking for on the 1881 census? you can search this for yourself at www.familysearch.com.

If you give this information and ask for a look up in the 1891 or 1871 census, people will help you find the details.  You might discover extra children, or marriage names, or that somebody has died between one census and the next.

Also you can search the index for the 1901 census on the National Archives site http://www.1901censusonline.com/ You might have found an entry but you may want to know what the address is, who they were living with.

You might have a grandparent's name, birthdate and birthplace.  It's possible that the family might be found on a census, especially if you have the parents names from the birth certificate.

If you just ask if anybody has any information on a family/person, we wouldn't know what you already have or what you want, whether you want to search backwards for the family or possibly forward for living people in which case there would be a limited number of people who would be related and could respond.

Hope this explains it a bit.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 07 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Daval

It depends...  ;D

If you know a lot about a family and just want to make contact with others a general request will do it - give the names and dates of the family and some details about locations and related names.

If you want a look-up for a particular census, or for someone to supply specific information, give as much detail as possible (previous census details, certificate info, where last seen, occupation etc) and post on the Request board.

does that help?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 07 20:41 BST (UK) »
It is much better if you know what step you want to take next to ask someone to help with that rather than post a more general request.  Always giving as much information about what you already know as possible.

People on rootschat will usually go way beyond what you ask if they can and if someone has a general interest in the family you are investigating they will pick the post up.  It is wise if you can to put a name and place in the subject.

If you are looking for general information about a family don't forget to look in and post your interest in the SIT.  Click on "your surname interests" at the foot of every page.  Also don't ignore the one name threads which you can sort by clicking on the subject heading.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 07 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these comments.
Still unclear.  Sorry people.
Why would I ask people to do a lookup when I can search the census records myself, say for example using Scotlandspeople (most of my interest is in Scotland and some in Ireland).
I'm sorry, I'm finding it hard to differentiate.
Dave
-------------------

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 June 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Well, I suppose that if you have the resources to look yourself you would have no need to request a look up.

Scotlands People is one thing that costs everyone the same to look up, unless they have access to parish records in person, so you would just be asking someone else to pay, which seems unfair.  Having said that, I am sure some people are generous enough to consider it!

Ireland is a different matter entirely and if anyone finds out how to get records from there I would be glad to knw - no luck myself so far!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 June 07 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arranroot,
I think that's really answered my original question.
I thought perhaps I was missing out on something (apart from scrounging).

Would you agree then, that the "does anyone have info on..." is the best format once I have exhausted the other resources available to me?

One other question, not just to you A. 

Is there more information available by visiting Park Circus or Registry House than there is on the various sites we all use?

Sorry, another question just occurred...

Apart from the possibility that I will find someone else on sites like Rootschat that know something about my family, I feel that I've exhausted the web sources for tracing my family line (backwards).
I've only reached about 1760 on my dads side and 1790 on my mums.  Where do I start going from here.  I intend visiting some graveyards but what else to do I am not sure and would love pointers.

PS

Rootschat is by far one of the most interesting and friendly, pro-active sites I've come accross - take note moderators.

Dave       
-------------------

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 June 07 22:33 BST (UK) »

Apart from the possibility that I will find someone else on sites like Rootschat that know something about my family, I feel that I've exhausted the web sources for tracing my family line (backwards).
I've only reached about 1760 on my dads side and 1790 on my mums.  Where do I start going from here.  I intend visiting some graveyards but what else to do I am not sure and would love pointers.

This is just the sort of situation where you should post a very specific question.  e.g.

I have found my ancestor XXX marrying his wife YYY in ZZZ parish in 1760.   I know that he had three children baptised in the parish and a brother named  VVVV.  Can anyone help me find out more about them or who their parents were?

As I said previously this is much more likely to produce an answer for you than a general question of the form

Is anyone researching the XXX family in WWW county?

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 June 07 00:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks David.
That's useful too.
I must say though, I've tried that on this site too with little success.  Met two people that I'd been in touch with via other sources but that's about it.

Test of your investigative skills......

James Forrest bc1760 m Janet Rochead bc same era. Married Kirkintilloch, Dunbatonshire.
Forrests moved to Glasgow.  I've got lots of info on descendants. NONE on ancestors.

What I'm hoping to find is more info on the Forrest line.  I just don't know where to go.  I don't expect you to do any research but can you suggest any other sites to post on?

I'm really stuck on James.  I suppose he could have moved to Kirkintilloch from anywhere. 

-------------------