Author Topic: Robert Williams Gwysaney Hall  (Read 6255 times)

Offline gladstone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Williams Gwysaney Hall
« on: Saturday 16 June 07 05:55 BST (UK) »
Robert Williams born c1735 and married Anne ? had five children:
John born 1775 of whom little is known except that he negotiated the marriage bond for his sister, Catherine b1779 who married John Dawson of Meliden;
Robert, Doctor of Divinity Oxford, Rector of Llanfrydig and Vicar of Trefdearth died Siamber Wen, Anglesey 1849;
Peter DD born1782 died prior to 1837 and Thomas b 1789 woolen draper of 33 Cloth Fair London died 1837. All children were born at Gwysaney.

There are gaps in knowledge about father Robert and his wife Anne, sons John and Peter. The family had a liking for marrying late, serving the church and having children who did not have children, except for Thomas.

Since the Davies family owned Gwysaney Hall what was Robert's role? He mentions a lease arrangement  withthe late John Davies Esq in his 1816 will.

Can someone in Mold do a bit of digging [ if you pardon the pun] for me. ???

With many thanks .
Williams of Gwysanney Hall
Dodson of Tottenham
Hutchins of Bowes farm, Southgate Edmonton
Williams of Cloth Fair
Raikes of St Clement Danes
Bowton of Sheppey
Pennal of Sheppey
Powell of Ruffords Row Islington

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Williams Gwysaney Hall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
My interest in Gwsaney is that Sarah Williams my g.grandmother was born there 1805 and she married a Peter also Williams from Nercwys. In 1851 if my memory is correct there are only about 15 households in Gwysaney and quite a few are Williams's. I think some were land agents and such and some ag. labs. on the estate. As Peter was an ag.lab. I expect Sarah came from that class too.
 In Harwarden R.O. there is a file of Gwysaney papers but all about the familys who owned it and the business transactions etc. However if your Williams was on the land agent side he might be mentioned. However it is definitely a needle in haystack search in loads of papers without indexes. Best of luck Alan Williams.
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Johnathand

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Williams Gwysaney Hall
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 01:21 BST (UK) »
Williams of Gwysaney Hall, Flintshire.

`Gwsaney and Owston` , the history of the Davies (now Davies-Cooke family),  states that in the early  18th century, financial problems caused Gwysaney to be let to tenants , while the family moved to their other house at Llanerch, Denbighshire. The family did not return until  c.1823.
A Robert Williams was steward at Llanerch in the late 17th century, and in 1818 William Williams was agent a Gwysaney.

Gwsaney and Owston
G. A. Usher
Privately Printed-Denbigh