Author Topic: Bowton family of Queenborough, Sheppey  (Read 2033 times)

Offline gladstone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bowton family of Queenborough, Sheppey
« on: Saturday 16 June 07 07:11 BST (UK) »
James Bowton, originally a mariner but later the water bailiff of Queenborough, married Catherine Pepper at Rochester in 1801. His marriage was witnessed by William Bowton whose links and origins are unknown.

James and Catherine  had four children: Jemima, William Hawkins Bowton, James and Ann Elizabeth who died in infancy.  William Hawkins was a gentleman of ordnance at the Tower annd his sister Jemima married John Saffery who was also a gentle man of ordnance. Brother James was a chemist at Woolwich and married Elizabeth Mary Pennal of Queenborough in 1832.

Can anyone help to make William more than a single entry in 1801. i would like to discover if he is James' brother or even James' father.

I also need some help with adding some  depth to the story of the two gentleman of Ordnance who worked at the tower.

With thanks
Williams of Gwysanney Hall
Dodson of Tottenham
Hutchins of Bowes farm, Southgate Edmonton
Williams of Cloth Fair
Raikes of St Clement Danes
Bowton of Sheppey
Pennal of Sheppey
Powell of Ruffords Row Islington

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bowton family of Queenborough, Sheppey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 07 14:26 BST (UK) »
hello
I have had a look for William but cannot find him.
I did find the maraige recorded in cityark - medway for 24th January 1801 at St Margaret of Antioch Church, St Margarets church, Rochester

re Gentleman of ordnance (just by googling)
The technical side of army based at Tower of London.
The artillery section consisted of
Captain Lieutenant
Gentleman of Ordnance
Master Gunner and his mates
Corporals
Gunners
Matrosses

These look like they are listed in order of importance - so perhaps it was a good position, with some status - that's why they put it on the census.

I wonder if there is some connection of these 2 to Elizabeth's ( James' widow)second husband who was an ordnance store keeper in Queenborough, 1851 census.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure there is some military historian who can do better than me!

good luck
Jane
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 June 07 15:01 BST (UK) »
I notice that James & Catherine married by licence - have you pursued that avenue of research to see whether there is any further information on the licence/bond/allegation (if it survives)?

Medway archives should be able to assist with queries as to the whereabouts of any surviving material.

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

I would suggest posting a separate query regarding the "ordnance" occupations on the "Occupations" or (if they were part of the army) "Armed Forces" board here on Rootschat http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php where it might be noticed by others who don't frequent the Kent boards so much.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 07 15:44 BST (UK) »
Does James' Prerogative Court of Canterbury will give any further information?

Will of James Bowton, Gentleman of Queenborough , Kent 17 February 1847 PROB 11/2049

Or this document?

Centre for Kentish Studies: Queenborough Borough
Miscellaneous - ref. QB/AZ
Precedent books, etc.
FILE - Full record of all the law suits, 1819-23, compiled by Robert Hindes, jun., Town Clerk, including: p.85 [pp.1-83 missing] the Oyster Fishery case, Free burgesses v. Corporation; p.314 Rex v. Winch & Horne, riot and assault; p.243 Bowton versus Weeks, defamations; p.431 Chalk v. parish of Queenborough, poor rate; p.449 Marshall v. Corporation, ejectment; p.510 Rex v. Greet, alehouse licence; p.544 Rex. v. Jones and Thompson, challenge to a duel (missing) - ref.  QB/AZp/2  - date: post 1823

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk