Author Topic: Another restoration for Thomas please *COMPLETED*  (Read 2671 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another restoration for Thomas please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 00:08 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed, fantastic colouring on both. Thank you.

Actually, caz, I was going to request a slight reduction in colour saturation, but I found it was fine when downloaded and viewed from the file. Photos on the forum seem a little more 'intense'.

But a framed version would be nice if it's not too much trouble.  :-*

Thanks again.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

No trouble at all.  I'll frame it tonight when I get home.  ;)

Actually, when I first started colouring pics, I downloaded a couple and printed them on my home printer and on my work printer. The one thing I noticed, the delicately coloured pics, while looking fabulous on the screen, lost so much when printed (it's because they are .jpg format, every time a .jpg is downloaded, resaved, it looses compression and hence quality).  Skintones were particularly affected and appeared almost albino.  :o  So while my pics my look intense and people start reaching for their sunglasses  :P, there is method in my madness, as I assume the pics are intended for printing.  Perhaps we could post a thumbnail of a desaturated version for web viewing but only tiny because of server constraints.   Or perhaps the postee could nominate whether they intend printing or not, just a thought.

Also, a lot of printers now have colour management software which gives you the opportunity to play around with colour intensity to get the most asthetically pleasing print.

Whoops, sorry rambled on a bit  :-[

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

Here's one from me , using Cazza's restore.

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 03:06 BST (UK) »
Here's another with a subtle frame .

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 03:21 BST (UK) »
That's lovely Jim.  8)

I see I still managed to miss a bit of the skirt, will fix that tonight as well  ::)

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 09:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim. Another lovely interpretation.

Caz, my comment was certainly not meant as a criticism. I suspect it may be the settings on Internet Explorer that makes the colours appear stronger on the forum because when viewed in Paint Shop or Windows Viewer they seem more subtle. As for the minefield of colour management . . . I bought a decent printer last year (Epson R1800) for my photos, and to produce prints of my friend's paintings. I did a lot of research and spent a whole day carefully setting up the colour profiles for screen, scanner and printer and calibrating the display so that scans previewed and printed true to the original. Then I recently upgraded to Paint Shop Pro X . . . and I still haven't managed to produce a true print directly from that. Not a fault of the program, but it's just so clever that I haven't had time to properly get to know it yet. So I still print from PSP5 where I can guarantee to get true colour. And I have a great respect for anyone who can produce such wonderful restorations and colouring as those on the forum.

And you thought you could ramble . . . . .   ;)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Gosh, I must have given you the wrong impression.  :(  I didn't take it as criticism, in fact the opposite as it gave me an opportunity to explain why I increase saturation, sorry!   ;)

Anyway, I've fixed up the skirt and put it in a frame.  Hope you like it.  ;)

Caz

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 11:18 BST (UK) »
And just in case that one is too boring, here's a wall plaque for you  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Caz

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Another restoration for Thomas please *COMPLETED*
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Caz, I'm building a wonderful virtual picture gallery. Gonna have to start buying some more frames and display them properly!

Glad I didn't give you the wrong impression earlier  ;)

As a 'jack of all trades' who never seems to completely master any of them, I really appreciate skills like yours.

Mike.