Author Topic: John & Esther Evans, Carmarthen  (Read 4504 times)

Offline JANICE BRUCE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John & Esther Evans, Carmarthen
« on: Saturday 16 June 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been having problems finding John and Esther Evans in the 1841 and 1861 Census. I have found them in 1851 and again in 1871, 1881 and Esther as a Widow in 1891.

He was born c. 1811 in Aberguilly in Carmarthenshire and was a Fisherman.  Esther was born c. 1812 in Newchurch, Carmarthenshire and most of their children was born in Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire.

In 1851 they were in St Peters in Carmarthen at an address that is very difficult to read (Ref: HO107 2473  folio 324 p32 & 33).  In the later Census it looks like the same address "Parkywallace"! or in the 1871 Census (Ref: RG10 5497 folio 33 p60) it looks like "Park Y Berllen" and has been transcribed as such on ancestry.

So any help on what the address is and any suggestions as to why I can't find them in 1841 or 1861 would be much appreciated.  Could it be that the census is incomplete/missing etc for parts of St Peters in these years?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John & Esther Evans, Carmarthen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
Blimey!

I see why you didn't transcribe the whole crew - lots of children!!

The address in 1851 looks like Park y cellan to me.  John's occupation is fisherman on that census.  They have a 10 year old Sarah who was born in Merthyr, so that is where I would look for them in 1841, especially if you can;t find them in Carms.

Having a look ...

Edit: here are the family in 1851

John Evans 40
Esther Evans 33 
David Evans 16 
John Evans 14 
Thomas Evans 12 
Sarah Evans 10  - b Merthyr
Williams Evans 8
Mary Evans 6 
Evan Evans 11 Mo 
Samuel Evans 11 Mo 

It could be that there was a change of wife somewhere along the way?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline JANICE BRUCE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 07 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have searched for Sarah in the 1840/1 born in Merthyr but I have had no luck.  Its possible she was born later on in the year after the Census was taken?

In fact, in the 1841 Census I have searched for Evans, Even etc and first names for the parents and for the elder children David (6) John(4) and Thomas (2) but have not found anything very likely.

It looks like they were at the same address in 1851 and 1871.  Are there any missing parts to the 1861 Census in Carmarthenshire? Would you know what area this address is in Carmarthen? Would it be possible for someone to look up the address for 1861?  I did consider looking online by area as some sites allow you to do, but I don't know enough about the address to be able to locate it!

Its also possible that he was at sea fishing on the night of the Census, but I would still hope to find Esther and the children of approximately the correct age. 

Thanks for your help.

Janice

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
This looks like the marriage
John Evans (Abergwilly)to Esther Thomas in Newchurch on 01/05/1834

Welsh Kaz
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 07 18:38 BST (UK) »
Baptisms
Penuel Chapel,Priory Street,Carmarthen
David Evans
Parents-John Evans (Fisherman ) and Ester.
Born -5th Oct 1834
Abode-Priory Street,Carmarthen
Minister-J.Watkins,Protestant Dis Minister

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline JANICE BRUCE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks for replies and information regarding their marriage and baptism of their eldest child.  I have also found a baptism on the IGI for John Evans on 20 Nov 1840 at St Peters in Carmarthen with the same parents.

All my attempts to find them in either the 1841 or 1861 Census have been unsuccessful.  I even did an address search on one site using " Park Y Cellan" in St Peters with no results at all!

Thank you or your help.

Janice