Author Topic: 1871 and 1881 census lookup  (Read 1225 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1871 and 1881 census lookup
« on: Saturday 16 June 07 18:49 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful if someone could look up the 1871 and 1881 census records for a Martha Maria Jeffrey who was born in Greenock about 1863.

She married an Irishman named Samuel Smith (not sure when) and they seem to have moved around quite a bit.   Their first child, Elizabeth, was born in Ireland in 1885.

I am basing Martha's approximate year of birth on the fact that she was aged 28 in the 1891 census for Midlothian and 37 in the 1901 census for West Lothian.

:)

Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 and 1881 census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 07 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi coonwarra,

The only Martha Jeffrey born in Greenock at the IGI http://www.familysearch.org is:

Martha Jeffery, born 29 MAR 1860       Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland.  Parents William Jeffery and Elizabeth Cain.

This seems to fit, given the first daughter's name is the same as Martha's mother.

At any rate it gives you more names to look for at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 June 07 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi coonwarra

Not having any luck with either census but I have found Martha's death. She died age 69 on 19/6/1932. her father was William and her mother Elizabeth Kain (so I reckon allowing for the mis-spelling of her mother's surname) that the birth Nina has found is her.

She died at Miller Pit Cottages, Carriden West Lothian.

I can't find her mother and father on either census and have searched UK wide. Perhaps they had gone to ireland.

Happy searching

Ann

PS if you PM me your email addy I will send you a copy of the death cert
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ninatoo and Ann

Thanks very much for this info - it has taken me 1 generation further back.

Ann - I have sent you a pm.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 07 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Coonwarra

Email is on it's way. Glad could help.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-