Author Topic: John Burnside from E/Lothian to Glasgow  (Read 3251 times)

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Burnside from E/Lothian to Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 January 09 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom & Falkryn

you both helped get this one off the ground for me,here is the final part.

my third great-granduncle John Burns(ide)and his wife Hannah Sanderson where on trial for theft at Jedburgh Sherriff court, I can give you some details in my own words (due to copyright thingy).
Thanks to another kind Rootschatter - Blackcat - who was at West Register House recently and checked the trial details for me.

John and Hannah Burnside charged with theft and reset of theft 19th or 20th Nov 1862 both kept in prison until their trial 8th Sep 1863

both accused of stealing 3 wrappers from a waggon at Hawick Railway Station,various items inc..
a piece or web of Alpaca cloth
3 pairs of boots
4 pieces of webs of Tweed cloth
8 pairs of woolen drawers
a rosewood workbox
cotton nightdress
linen tablecloth
3 cotton shifts
linen towel
and a view of Dunoon.
above items being transported by rail for other people in wrappers.

John states that he purchased the boots,cloth ect from a Hawker at the door of the Half Moon Public House,local of Newton Station(whilst refreshing himself with an Ale),for 25 shillings.
The police had went to Hannahs house and taken away a varity of items,however Hannah was able to account for most of them as being purchased  at x or a gift from y,hense she got off with the charge.
John had knowledge of the Railway as he had previously been a porter there before being discharged of employment the previous April ... in consequence of his inabililty to discharge the duties.

I imagine that is why after the prison sentence was complete they changed their name from Burnside to Burns and John fled from his Roots of E.Lothian to live and die in Glasgow.I have John and Hannahs childrens deaths now also,all 4 died thinking their name as Burns and none as far as I can tell had any children,the end of the Burns(ide) family.

Fiona

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 January 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi fiona,

Great result.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline beswron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 July 19 05:41 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother was Elizabeth Burnside born about 1898 in Haddington. I'm told that Burns is a short version of Burnside like Ron is short for Ronald. When her Grandmother was married in 1866 and Catherine Burnside was on documents as her Mother. I believe Catherine was really a God Mother. When the Grandmother died her mothers name was Mary.
One of Elizabeth Burnsides sisters married a Hood and migrated to Australia before WW2.
I haven't read all the posts yet but thanks for posting!!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 July 19 08:04 BST (UK) »
.... 1881 census ....
John Burns 48 b 1833 Bolton East Lothian Occ – Carter
That is not an age difference. The original census, as you know, never includes a year of birth. The date of 1833 is arrived at by subtracting John's stated age (48) from the year of the census (1881).

However the 1881 census was taken on 4 April. This means that anyone born on or after 5 April has not yet had a birthday in 1881, and by the end of the year they will be a year older. So (assuming their age is accurate) someone aged 48 on 4 April 1881 could have been born any time from 5 April 1832 to 4 April 1833.

This means that a year of birth in a census transcription is incorrect in about three out of four cases.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
Can i just say I have no input to the opening post but what a fantastic result and story Roots Chatters have really surpassed themselves on this and many more fascinating keep on giving and we all receive.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Garngad,

Thanks for your comments, I wish all genealogy searches ended like this, but not always that successful.

Tom Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
Im not sure how far you have gone back with the Burnsides since this query started but want to say there are some good records on FreeREG :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish. Always worth another look incase there is something new or ive missed info.

Fiona