Author Topic: Margaret Gilliland / William Fraser  (Read 4785 times)

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Gilliland / William Fraser
« on: Sunday 17 June 07 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

im trying to find information regarding Margaret Gilliland / William Frazer who lived in Monaghan in the 1850s & 1860's. I dont know where they were originally from but can they had 5/6 kids born in Monaghan.

Can anyone get me info such as where they lived / got married or even where they were from.

cheers
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline weesue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Gilliland / William Fraser
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am Susan from Glasgow Scotland. My G Grandfather Robert John Gilliland b1874 married Maggie Conly, came to Glasgow 1898. Robert's Father was George Earnest Gilliland and married Jane Turbitt. Do these names mean anything to you? I don't know much about the Gillilands and have made an appeal also on this web site for help...
Susan Casey:- From Glasgow Scotland - Searching for-
(Glasgow) Casey, Connelly, Croall, Cummiskey, Gilliland, Holmes, McDivitt, Roache.
(Ayr) Boyd, Pearson, Peirson, Paton,MacCreadie, Earl

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 08 10:30 GMT (UK) »
davieboy-
IGI lists 5 children to William Frazer and Margaret Gilliland, including 2 sets of twins. Any of the children's birth certificates will show exact place of birth (townland).
Finding the marriage for William and Margaret depends on their religion. Civil registration of Protestant marriages began 1845 but Catholic marriages from 1864. Otherwise you would need to search for church records after you know their religion and exactly where they lived.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Marilyn Marsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 February 16 01:59 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Sue,

My Great grandfather was George Gilliand And My great grandmother was Jane turbitt. I am looking for family relatives and any info I can My dad was William James brown Born In Ballybay monaghan I belive his mum was Ada but im not sure There was a brother Robert and a daughter winnie any info Hey we could be related I live in australia but was born in NZ hope to hear back

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 February 16 05:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not related but noticed this family  in the 1901 and 1911 census returns, is it a possibility?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Tullycorbet/Cornacreeve/1635565/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Tullycorbett/Cornacreeve/807978/

This couple were William Brown and Ada Gilliland who got married in 1894, the marriage was registered in Castleblayney registration district:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYHY-3XQ
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYHT-12F

The IrishGenealogy website has several of the childrens' births including this one (the baptism for this William records him as William John Brown, it took place in Ballybay Church of Ireland parish):
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/2c2e471246353

A Rebecca Gilliland was born on 21 November 1876 to parents George Gilliland and Jane Turbitt:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGD7-9L6

The baptism took place on 31 December 1876 in Clontibret Church of Ireland and the name was recorded as Ada Rebecca Gilliland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 16 09:34 GMT (UK) »
New topic here on George Earnest Gilliland, etc.- would be a good idea to ask moderator to move that one to Monaghan board and add Gilliland to title, Marilyn Marsh. Just click go to topic, click on 'report to moderator'
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742462.msg5891784#msg5891784
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline weesue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 February 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

My Great grandfather was George Gilliand And My great grandmother was Jane turbitt. I am looking for family relatives and any info I can My dad was William James brown Born In Ballybay monaghan I believe his mum was Ada but i'm not sure There was a brother Robert and a daughter winnie any info Hey we could be related I live in australia but was born in NZ hope to hear back

Hi Marilyn
Yes, I have heard of Ada... My Great Great Grandparents were George and Jane and their son Robert was my Great Grandfather... They lived in Ballybay... Robert eloped to Glasgow, Scotland and Married Maggie Conly in 1898. They had four sons, one being, James David who was my Grandfather, he died age 34, but had 8 children with my Gran Ina... My mum is Barbara Gilliland Casey, and will be so excited to hear this... She is 82 years old and in very good health...  I was born in Glasgow and live here presently...
I will give you my email address Marilyn and we can correspond again... Very happy to meet you...  ;D (*)
Hope to hear from you soon...

Regards
Susan X   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Susan Casey:- From Glasgow Scotland - Searching for-
(Glasgow) Casey, Connelly, Croall, Cummiskey, Gilliland, Holmes, McDivitt, Roache.
(Ayr) Boyd, Pearson, Peirson, Paton,MacCreadie, Earl

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 February 16 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Braddox Church
10th Feb1874  George Ernest Gilliland (blacksmith) son of John Gilliland  +  Margaret Maxwell, Castleshane, Monaghan   married Jane Turbitt dau, Robert Turbitt, Clonlonan, Tyholland witnesses John Turbitt  + Sarah Graham 

Clontibret Church
21st Nov 1876 Ada Rebecca daughter of George + Jane Gilliland, Carrickaderry   
1st March 1879 Elizabeth Rachel daughter of George  + Jane Gilliland, Carrickaderry   
27th May 1881 Joseph Gordon  son of George + Jane Gilliland, Creevagh, Tullycorbet 

Derryvally Pres. Church
28th June 1894 William Brown son, James Brown, Cornacrew, Donaghmoyne   married  Ada Gilliland (17) dau, George Gilliland, Drumar , Tullycorbet  witnesses Robert Gilliland  + Bessie Gilliland 

7th Oct1911 Ernest Gilliland son, George Gilliland, Drumar , Tullycorbet   married Lizzie Shannon dau, Matthew Shannon, Corfad, Tullycorbet  witnesses Louis Potts  + Selena Clarke   

9thJuly1912  Robert Faulkner son, Jeremiah Faulkner, Dunraymond, Kilmore  married Maggie Gilliland dau, George Gilliland, Drumar , Ballybay  witnesses Ernest Gilliland  + Florrie Gilliland 
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.