Author Topic: Richard Peake  (Read 2687 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Richard Peake
« on: Monday 18 June 07 10:07 BST (UK) »
I have perhaps a not unusual problem of which entries to take note of from the IGI.I have been looking for quite some time now for a Marriage of a Richard Peake and an Elizabeth in c 1730.Looking on the IGI there are a few submitted entries referring to such a Marriage,on the 18th of August 1730,in both Ruabon and Chirk Denbighshire.However there is also an "Extracted" record on the 18th of August 1731 at Whittington Shropshire,showing the Marriage of a Richard Peake and an Elizabeth Roberts.Which is the more reliable entry in this case to accept?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Peake
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello William

I would say that the "Extracted" record is the more reliable, but I would suggest that you check the original to be 100% certain.  The IGI is a very useful research tool, but is known to contain errors.

Whittington parish registers can be viewed at The Shropshire Archives.  Luckily for you, you don't live too far away ;)

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 07 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi William

I would think that you could check the Chirk and Ruabon records at the Clwyd FHS Centre in Cefn Mawr. I'll check my Whittington records for you.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 07 11:48 BST (UK) »
The Whittington records show the marriage of Richard Peake and Elizabeth Roberts, both of the parish of Chirk. Married Whittington 18 August 1731.

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 07 11:58 BST (UK) »

Fast work Gadget :D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 June 07 12:00 BST (UK) »
Well, we Chirkers are pretty quick and my Griffithses from Whittington helped  ;D ;D ;D

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 07 13:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies both Lloydy and Gadget,and thanks to Gadget for the Look Up in the Whittington Records.I believe the couple to be my Greatx5-Grandparents,their daughter Mary born c 1734 going on to marry a John Stephens at Ruabon in 1756.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk