Author Topic: Christie family - Help please  (Read 10134 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christie family - Help please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 08:08 BST (UK) »
RootsChatters who have contributed on this thread may wish to know that this family is also under discussion (a certain amount of duplication ...) on the following thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,245044.html

JAP

Offline Whuppity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 February 16 14:02 GMT (UK) »
This is in reply to MonicaL's first reply. I am the Great Grandson of Robert who was b.Sept. 20, 1837. He and his Mother, Grandmother and siblings Elizabeth, Janet & Andrew immigrated to the U.S.A. on Sept. 3rd, 1855. Mother, Grandmother and Andrew could not adjust to their new life in the states and returned to Scotland. Robert married Miss Pauline Clay Watson. He became a Presbyterian Minister and died in Pittsburgh PA. on Jan. 8th, 1923. Buried in Frankfort KY. I have an early autobiographical sketch of his life.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 February 16 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Whuppity

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Hopefully you can make connections with people connected to this line.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whuppity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 February 16 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi MonicaL,
     I can add much more however I don't want to "Hi-Jack" Raylen's thread. Would that be the case or should I start a new thread? Not looking to be rude or inappropriate.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 February 16 17:56 GMT (UK) »
You wouldn't be hijacking if you are adding info on the same line. Sure Raylen will be delighted to see it all when they log back on  :)

If you want to add info on other family, certainly start a new thread so that people can see it better.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whuppity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 February 16 21:57 GMT (UK) »
    runningbear’s reply in post #4 is correct up to the point where he states “Robert marries Margaret Williamson.” That is where it comes off the rails (see my reply #19). Robert Christie the patriarch cited in MonicaL’s reply #2, left Scotland about 1841-2 to go to America with the idea of making way to bring the family over at some point. He belonged to the Christies of the Carse of Lecropt, farming class. Mary Dobbie belonged to the Dobbies of Berrymuir, in the vicinity of Loch Coulter and she was one gereration removed from the farming class. Mary Dobbie’s brother was in Franklin County, Ohio and he was to help anchor the family there till they could get settled. Within six weeks of arrival, Robert had contracted Typhoid fever and died.
    Widow Mary Christe and her children all worked at the William Wilson & Sons weaving Mills in Bannockburn , famous for weaving tartans. William Willson’s Mother was a Christie and I assume there was a relation there though I don’t know the specifics, The plan was still to come to America which wasn’t realized until 1855.
    As for what became of the children, this is what I know:
     Elizabeth stayed in America and married an Irish immigrant named Edward Lincoln who was 10 years younger than she. They homesteaded in Iowa and she died there on July 22, 1907. I have visited her grave.
     Second born was William and about 1850 or so he enlisted in the 74th Highlanders (the Seaforth Highlanders). Took part in the Kaffir War in South Africa. He died in India while serving with his regiment. (never came to America).
     Janet ended up marrying  Will (William?) Brown and had at least one son, Will Jr. Not sure whether they ended up U.S – Scotland?
      Andrew came to America with the others but could not adjust to his new life here. Went back to Scotland and married with children, I know of some of his descendants in Scotland today.
      Robert is my Great Grandfather, see my reply post #19.
      John I believe did not survive to adolescence.

Offline Whuppity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 18:15 GMT (UK) »
       I have some updated information and corrections concerning my "Reply #23" I believe Elizabeth came to America in late August 1853 aboard the sailing vessel DEVONSHIRE. two years before the rest of the family.  Her husband, Edward Lincoln, was an Englishman and not Irish. He and his parents and some siblings were also aboard the DEVONSHIRE for the voyage. The Lincoln family was from the tiny village of Minster. Not sure when Edward and Elizabeth were married. They all came to the Columbus, Ohio vicinity. Groveport, OH
        William, age 27, died in India on Apr. 12, 1857 and is buried in Coonoor, Madrras India
        Janet and son returned to Scotland and settled in the Bannockburn area.