Author Topic: Where are they buried?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline dinarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where are they buried?
« on: Tuesday 19 June 07 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My great great grandfather, William McKie died in the Garrick Hospital, Stranraer on the 10th Nov 1939. His usual residence was at Innermessan, Inch. My great, great grandmother, Elizabeth McKie (ms Campbell) died on the 8th Feb 1930 at Innermessan Cottage, Inch.

I wondered which cemetery they would be buried in, and if any kind person out there has a copy of post 1855 MI's, I would be grateful for any assistance. I'm curious to know if there are any other relatives marked on the headstone.

Thanks in advance
dinarina
Wigtownshire:- MCKIE/RANKIN(E)/MCCRACKEN/AULD/COSH/JACKSON
Dumfriesshire:- GRAHAM/CLOW(E)/SANDERS/THOMLINSON/GLOVER

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Re: Where are they buried?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 08:33 BST (UK) »
First of all I would just say that, unfortunately, I cannot help you specifically. I too have ancestors buried in Stranraer and Stoneykirk nearby. My husband and I recently returned from a holiday "grave searching" and I did see a McKie in Stoneykirk Churchyard but cannot remember the details. My hubby once had a Doctor McKie when he was small so that's why I remembered it.
You can buy MI booklets from the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society for quite a small fee - they cover quite a number of churchyards. However, I just remembered you don't know which one would relate to your family.
Just be patient I am sure someone will come back to you with information. You could look on the Wigtownshire Pages, the details of which, I think, can be found somewhere at the start of this section.
Sorry I can't be more helpful - I am a bit rusty with IT now - retired 3 years ago.
Good luck - not too many postings on the Wigtownshire Site but I keep a check on it daily!
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire