Author Topic: WESTON SUPER MARE, Connaught Place  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
WESTON SUPER MARE, Connaught Place
« on: Tuesday 19 June 07 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know if Wyndham Villa, Connaught Place, Weston Super Mare still exists?

Would love to have a photo of it or surrounding area if possible

Many thanks, Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Theli p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WESTON SUPER MARE, Connaught Place
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 07 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hello barbara
Sorry for slow reply . I do not check the Somerset boards very often. I was near Connaught Place yesterday. If you like I will go back next weekend and have a search for Wyndham Villas.I only live about 10 minutes away!
Best wishes Thelma
Lamper, Hoather,Trangmar,Hide, Hollingdale, Sussex
Dinkele, Galer London
Pope, Beaven, Button, Somerset
Walker, Rochdale
Simcock, Cheshire/Staffs
Burrow, Goodwin, Worcester
Pound,Naish, Wilkey,  Bristol

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma,

Apologies for my own slow reply but have been away for 3 weeks and just got back today.

I would be so pleased if you could find Wyndham Villa and take a pic for me.  The head of the family was quite an eminent surgeon, so I imagine it should have been quite a large house.  I've looked back through the census records to see what the other houses in the road were called, as it may help to find it.  In 1901 in Connaught Place were (in this order): Glenare, Lahore Villa, Cardigan Villa, Elmgrove, Wyndham Villa, Penrhos House, Eglington Villa.

Many thanks, Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Theli p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 07 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara
I will go searching as soon as I can-(n the next few days). If I find it, my husband will take some photos then I'll be in touch again  :)
Best wishes Thelma
Dinkele, Galer London
Walker, Rochdale
Simcock, Cheshire/Staffs

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 07 15:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Thelma, much appreciated   :)

Offline Theli p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 07 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara
Well we've been to Connaught Place. It is still there but could only find two names and they were not on your list. ??? They all had numbers. I asked two ladies who lived there and they could not help but have taken my phone number because they think they know someone who may know something about the names.

The houses certainly are impressive. Most had cellars and three storeys. They are on a hillside next to a park so when they were built they would have had very pleasant views. They are now split into flats. They are all built of limestone with sandstone decorations-this is very common around here.

I should be going to the library soon so will try to find out more information. If I fail I will ask the local family history society. There is bound to be a map showing the original names somewhere.

If there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.
Best wishes Thelma
Dinkele, Galer London
Walker, Rochdale
Simcock, Cheshire/Staffs

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 07 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma,

It all sounds very impressive.  I would love a photo of the houses even if they're not the actual Wyndham Villa, if you managed to take one?

The surgeon was Charles Vernon Hitchins, the family lived there from 1881 to 1911 and the house was the scene of a murder in 1887, Charles' son Ernest shot his sister Constance, I have a newspaper report which I've just re-read, from the Weston super Mare Gazette and it says the inquest took place at 1, Wyndham Villas on the day of the murder. Censuses just give the name Wyndham Villa.

Thanks very much for all your time and trouble,
Barbara

Offline MLCMIKE1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 July 11 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I am not sure if you are still interested in this, but I can help you.  I actually run Murder and Ghost walks in Weston super Mare and one of the cases we feature is the Wyndham Villa death.

The house does indeed still exist, although it is not called Wyndham Villa any more.  Like most houses of its type here it has now been converted into flats.  It is the right house though as it is identified on the 1888 plan of weston, and it's easy to match the plan to the current layout of the properties there.

If you are still interested I am quite happy to take a picture for you, and can also send you a copy of the 1888 plan, let me know if you would like that

Mike Harding
Weston Walks

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 July 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Oh yes!! I am still very interested in this, I have been researching the family for my cousin, who is a direct descendant of the Hitchins family involved in the murder, and he will be delighted if you could take a photo and send the 1888 plan.  I will try to send you a personal message with my email address, although I think you may need to reply to this post as you are new to rootschat, before I can pm you.

Many thanks,
Barbara