Author Topic: Charles Staines/ Norwood/ c1816-20  (Read 1182 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Charles Staines/ Norwood/ c1816-20
« on: Tuesday 19 June 07 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone......

My GG grandfather, Charles Staines/ Stains, was aged 25 on the 1841 census , stationed at Alverstoke Barracks, with the 66th Regiment.........

On the 1851, his year of birth was given as 1820, and he stated he was born Norwood, Surrey. This year was also given in 1861, and the same place of birth.........

Can anyone find his baptism ?

I suspect his parents may be Edward and Ann, and he may have a brother Henry, but this is only suppostion......

Any help, gratefully received

Kind Regards

JeannieR

Am I correct in thinking Norwood is in the Lambeth area ?
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline damikinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Staines/ Norwood/ c1816-20
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeannie.
Certainly what is now West Norwood and Upper Norwood are in the London Borough of Lambeth,although Upper Norwood is a much more fluid area and parts of it are also in the London Boroughs of Croydon,Bromley and Southwark.

South Norwood,however,is wholly within the Croydon Borough.Certainly South Norwood would present an easier search as an 1820 baptism should have taken place at St.John the Baptist at Croydon.

West Norwood is a difficult one,as all the churches within a reasonable distance are post 1822.Please check the diocese list at www.southwark.anglican.org

Hope this may help you.
Dave.
BONIFACE,Hoxton & Chatham.
CARTER,Bucks & Middx.
KINCH,Berks.
RIDLEY,Surrey.
STREETER,Croydon.

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Staines/ Norwood/ c1816-20
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dave....

That is very helpful . Since I posted , I have actually found his marriage, so I think I will send for his marriage certificate........

I have also found that his daughter, my great grandmother, was born two years before the wedding (1850 ) She was actually baptised with both names .....perhaps he was away with the 66th Regiment ?

When I first started my research, I thought my family were just from Yorkshire and Lancashire !!

I will now have a look at the site you suggest..

Kind Regards

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk