Author Topic: Speck Family History  (Read 2096 times)

Offline John Speck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Speck Family History
« on: Wednesday 08 December 04 19:16 GMT (UK) »
My g/grandfather and g/grandmother were married in Helmsley 21Nov 1867.
They were Washington Atlanticus Speck and Mary Ann Comins Swales.Mary was born at Bondgate Helmsley to Peter and Elizabeth Swales.
                I have a marriage certificate from All Saints of the above marriage.The married couple moved to Thornbrough House  near South Kilvington and their first 4 children were born.They then moved on to Downham Market +/-1880.
                What I am looking for is where WA Speck comes from prior to his marriage in 1867.On the m/cetificate he says he was staying in Helmsley at the time.I am looking for any info about this dude and his father Henry Speck.He says he was born in Pennsylvania USA a Brittish Subject and was a Gentleman by profession.

Regards    John Speck- Cape Town S/Africa     Email address removed by moderator to prevent spam - please contact by personal message

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Speck Family History
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 December 04 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi John  ;D A Big Welcome to Rootschat to You ....Just wondering if u have Washington in any census? I have been chasing around to locate the family in the census in the hope they may have shed some light on Washington and his family. Washington only appears in 1871 and 1881.... By 1891 Mary Ann is a Widow. Both Censuses list Washington as born Pennslyvania nothing further. I can Find no Henry Speck born in USA and no other Speck in Yorkshire in 1871 born in America. It appears u know quite a bit about this family after their marriage so let me know if u would like any of the census entries and I will be happy to transcribe them to u....  :D Kris Happy Hunting  ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk