Author Topic: ballynascarry-Adair and Hepenstal  (Read 5210 times)

Offline peggyanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ballynascarry-Adair and Hepenstal
« on: Wednesday 20 June 07 15:09 BST (UK) »
Am looking for information on Ballynascarry near Fore and owners Adair and Hepenstal,Peggyanne

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: ballynascarry-Adair and Hepenstal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Peggyanne,

Welcome to Rootschat.

You can find some general information on Fore, Co. Westmeath here http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ny/

See also  www.libraryireland.com/topog/f.php          a small extract below:

FEIGHAN of FORE, or FOWRE (ST.), a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 1/2 miles (E.) from Castle-Pollard, on the road to Kells; containing, with the market-town of Collinstown (which is separately described), 2447 inhabitants, of which number, 119 are in the village.........

What time period and people are you looking for? There are no Adairs or Hepenstals listed for Westmeath in Griffiths Valuation 1847-64.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline peggyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 07 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply.
It appears as if the land came through Patrick Duigenan,who was MP for Antrim and married Mrs Hester Hepenstal.The time frame I am looking at is any time from 1860 to the 1920's when the land was acquired by the government from the Hepenstals.We are visiting the area in a couple of weeks from Australia and I would have liked some background.Peggy

Offline Jarom676

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 September 10 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi..

Just when i heard of Hempenstal it reminded me of hearing about 'the Walking gallows' Hempenstal, an officer in the Wicklow malitia i think, around about the 1798 period i think in the Ballymore, Moyvore area of Westmeath. You probably know of him though.. he's kind of a legend in the area. He was this very large man who used to tie a noose around the neck of captured rebels and swing them over his shoulder and hang them as he walked along. he was feared and hated by the local irish.