Author Topic: Pounds shillings and pence - in today's value.  (Read 154440 times)

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Pounds shillings and pence - in today's value.
« on: Wednesday 20 June 07 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if someone can help.

I've just found an article regarding an ancestor which involved him suing another person for none payment of a debt.  The amount at the time in the 1890's was 39 pounds, 17 shillings and tuppence.

How much roughly would that be in today's terms?

Another issue involved the threat to sue for slander for 200 pounds - again in the same or following year - how much would that equate to please?

A rough estimate would suffice.

Yours curiously.
J.A.

SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pounds shillings and pence - in today's value.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 17:31 BST (UK) »
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 17:34 BST (UK) »
Using that, the 1890's debt was worth £3,018.55

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 17:36 BST (UK) »
...and the slander compensation was worth £15,127.44.

meles

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Meles

Thank you for the site reference and the calculation - you must be a faster t  y  p  e  r than me!  I calculated the first sum as 3014.77 but got the same for the slander sum.

J.A.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline JK Bradshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you from me as well Meles!  My great-great grandmother revceived compensation from the Naval Widows & Orphans Fund in 1890 after my great-great grandfather was lost at sea.  The amount was 36 pounds 10 shillings (equivalent of 1 year's wages) and I have been trying to figure out what that would be in today's money.  I should have checked rootschat before trying anywhere else!

Thanks again.
Canada, the United States, England & Ireland
Bradshaw - England & Canada, Wright - UK & Canada, Norton - Canada & US, Brooks - England & Canada, Dobson - England, King - England & Canada, Phillips - Canada & US, Griffin - England, Byrne - Ireland & England, Emmason - England, McAllister - Ireland & England, Smith - England & Canada, Jessep - England, Kenner - England, Collins - US, Deo - Canada & US

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
Fifty years ago I worked on the railway, and amongst other things we paid weekly sums awarded to people under the Workmen's Compensation Act (1907?) for injuries that had received while working for the railway. One man received 50/- (£2-50p) per week for the loss of an eye which represented around a third of his weekly income. Really the inflation since 1960 has been collossal, used as a device to reduce the real effects of wage rises I believe?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
In 1819 my 3xG Grandfather received £5 to compensate for the sabre wounds he received at Peterloo. Whether you look at it from the point of view of the RPI or average earnings, it doesn't seem an awful lot in todays terms.

Offline JK Bradshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 May 12 00:03 BST (UK) »
Well, that 36 pounds was enough to allow my great-great grandmother to live on her own means, with 2 young daughters, for 4 years before she remarried.  I suppose she might just have been very frugal but she managed!
Canada, the United States, England & Ireland
Bradshaw - England & Canada, Wright - UK & Canada, Norton - Canada & US, Brooks - England & Canada, Dobson - England, King - England & Canada, Phillips - Canada & US, Griffin - England, Byrne - Ireland & England, Emmason - England, McAllister - Ireland & England, Smith - England & Canada, Jessep - England, Kenner - England, Collins - US, Deo - Canada & US