Author Topic: British Army in Australia  (Read 2582 times)

Offline pennine

• RootsChat Member
  • A smile can make some ones day
    • View Profile
British Army in Australia
« on: Thursday 21 June 07 01:47 BST (UK) »
My father wrote a letter to his parents in 1955 giving his address as UKSLS.
Army. Glemen, Victoria Barracks Melbourne. Does anyone have any idea what he was doing there?
Pennine 

Report to moderator    86.145.125.121 

Army. Glemen, Victoria Barracks Melbourne. Does anyone have any idea what he was doing there?
Pennine 

Pennine 

Pennine 

Bell, Brodsworth, Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Bright, Eyre, Jessop, Wilkinson, Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Fielding, Lound Retford, Lincolnshire and Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Law,  Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Lister, Flockton, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Mitchell, Langsett, Nr. Penistone Yorkshire.<br />Walton, Cudworth, Barnsley Yorkshire.<br />Stanger, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Yorkshire.<br />Gratwick, London and Kent<br />Fahy, Limerick, Southern Ireland

Offline pennine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: British Army in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 June 07 01:53 BST (UK) »
Well that is a bit of a muddle probably all my fault as I am totally thick. I tried to follow the instructions but there you go, sorry about that but if you read the first line you get the gist of what I am on about.
Pennine
Bell, Brodsworth, Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Bright, Eyre, Jessop, Wilkinson, Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Fielding, Lound Retford, Lincolnshire and Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Law,  Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Lister, Flockton, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Mitchell, Langsett, Nr. Penistone Yorkshire.<br />Walton, Cudworth, Barnsley Yorkshire.<br />Stanger, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Yorkshire.<br />Gratwick, London and Kent<br />Fahy, Limerick, Southern Ireland

Offline Shipwright23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 June 07 07:36 BST (UK) »
Nuclear tests?
Shipwright
Vasey -Hutton Buscel,Whitby
Peart, Whitby Yorks
Leadley,Whitby Yorks
Lound -Rotherham S Yorks, little bytham Lincs
Crouch Rotherham S Yorks, Ramsey Huntingdonshire
Anderson Whitby Yorks
Lofthouse Great Horton Bradford. Grosmont N.yorks
Ripley Whitby, Fylingdales,Grosmont,Aisalby  Yorks

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 07 07:56 BST (UK) »
The initials UKSLS stood for United Kingdom Service Liaison Staff. At the time there was trouble in Malaya and also Korea in which Commonwealth troops were engaged in. If you were to do a google search with just uksls army you will see that there are some sites that cover this term. The first two that I came across relate to information held by the Australian Archives.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline pennine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 June 07 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that both of you. Not aware that there was any mention of nuclear testing, though Malaya could be an option.
Thank you Pennine

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 June 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi pennine

Just a thought.... you may have already done so, or I maybe jumping the gun, but

if your father is decease you can obtain his service record if you are, or have access to, his next of kin, and have his death certificate.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline pennine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 June 07 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendi there by hangs a tail. Dad died in the 60's, was not in the army then.
However, when he died he had remarried. That lady was only married to him for two years prior to his death but I still presume she would take precedence over me, his only child in the next of kin stakes?
She is now in her mid 90's and very frail and probably wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about.
As he married her long after he left the army would they be any wiser if I just applied for his service record on my own bat?
Also could someone please post the address to write to for service records.

Thanks a lot Pennine

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 June 07 22:48 BST (UK) »
Pennine
My father served in Japen in the 50's, I applied and received his service record.(Tho took 8 months)If your name is on your fathers death certificate, you can get a copy , my dad died in 1966( he was out of the army by then). You will have to apply with your birth certificate and changes of name such as a   marriage certificate etc. I am also the youngest and my mother is still alive, so that wasn;t an issue
I e-mailed nsw bdm and they were quite helpful. Don't know about other states though.

Freckle
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.
Home page http://myrobertsons.tribalpages.com

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 July 07 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Australian Archives (www.naa.gov.au) have files of 'Army Signals Sept-Dec 1954; Records entitled 'Situation in Egypt - cabled reports rec'd from UKSLS' Oct 51 - Feb 52.  You can sign in as a visitor, and simply key in UKSLS.  I would also try keying in your father's name.

You can 'request issue' of records. It takes a little time, but they digitize them and put them on the website for you.  Good luck