Author Topic: Blyth/Blything Registration District  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blyth/Blything Registration District
« on: Thursday 21 June 07 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I'm new to the site and have very little experience. I have used ancestry etc but am looking for some advice/info.

I am trying to find info for my father in law. He has virtually no knowledge of his father.

He was known as John Robertson and he is definitely buried in Westleton churchyard. We believe he was 65 when he died but aren't sure. We have know idea of his history, parents etc so are starting with his death.

Anyway, I have possibly found his death in the BMD in the last quarter of 1952 but am unsure. The only one I can find shows a death registered in Blyth, but my father in law's birth (Westleton 1932) was registered in Blything. Is this likely to be the same place?

I also appreciate that some of you "look-up" registers but for Westleton only until 1900 ish, is there any way I could get any info about the burial from the internet or will I have to go to Westleton itself?

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

Stangat
Ellis :- Hull and Devon
Holmes :- Yorkshire
Jull :- Kent
Johnson :- Hull
Roberts :- Leicestershire
Warry :- Leicestershire
Baldwin :- Gloucestershire

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth/Blything
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 June 07 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Stangat

Welcome to RootsChat!  :D

Westleton fell within the Blything registration district until 1935, and then within the larger registration district of Blyth from 1935 to 1974. The references you have are therefore entirely consistent

I have the Westleton Parish Registers on microfiche up to c1899. You only have to ask if you'd like some info.

Hope this helps

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 June 07 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Stangat,

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)  

Best to start with what you do know for certain and work backwards.
I'm assuming your father-in-law has his own birth certificate showing his parent's names - does he have their marriage certificate?  That should give valuable information about their ages and fathers' names and occupations.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 07 17:56 BST (UK) »
Dave-Thanks for that. It solves some of the mystery. It now ties in with the BMD death and his age as we thought. We believe he was born in May 1887 but have no idea where. The thought is he moved into the area later in life but when we don't know.

Barbara- thanks as well, my father in law has his birth certificate showing his parents details but the rumour is that they didn't marry! I'm sifting through the lists for a marriage but am not holding out much hope.

The hope is that a death certificate may have a date of birth or other such info, I can't find him in the 1891 or 1901 census as there are so many John Robertson's! I don't know if the burial details would hold any other/similar info.

Unfortunately my F-I-L's sister has died and any paperwork was disposed of by her solicitor-shock horror etc unfortunately.

Thanks again

Ian  (stangat)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 June 07 18:58 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us what your f.i.l mothers name was? More eyes to search for a possible marriage. :) :)
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 June 07 19:44 BST (UK) »
His mother was Florence Amy Shelton nee Warry. She was born in the 1st quarter of 1902 in Blaby, Leicestershire. She married John W. Shelton in Blaby in 1922. She had one child who died in infancy and she was widowed in 1924.
We know she and my F-i-L had three children, Frances Amy (15/8/27), Deryck (4th quarter,1928) and my F-i-L 8/10/32.

I cannot find a marriage but I've just been told he may have been married before but to whom I don't know.

Thanks

Ian

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 07 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

Here's a key question for you...

How was Florence named in the birth certificate?

Florence Amy Robertson late Shelton formerly Warry
     or
Florence Amy Shelton formerly Warry

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 07 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I don't know off the top of my head as all the info so far has been over the phone. I will give them a ring and try and find out.

Ian

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 June 07 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

I've checked marriages from 1924-1932 for Robertson Shelton, no joy.

Then looked up the three children's births and the first two had mother's maiden name of SHELDON not Shelton

So checked marriages again for Sheldon, nothing.

Then checked your father-in-law's birth, if he was called Donald, then his mother's maiden name was given as WARRY 
Will now check marriages for Warry !!

Barbara

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK