Author Topic: Eliza Read Neat - born England  (Read 3763 times)

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Eliza Read Neat - born England
« on: Thursday 09 December 04 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for Eliza Reed Neat, born around  1814, "England.   She married William Webber in South Africa 6 Dec 1847 and died there 1893.   Her father was William Neat, but that is as far as I know.   He was also born "England" and died in South Africa in 1836 - his wife was Rhoda.   Any help very much appreciated - June
Ball(s) Barnes Bekker Bennett Buchanan Campher deKlerk deVilliers Dickenson Dunkley Edwards  Greenlees Helps Jones King Knoesen Marais McPherson Neat Nel Oosthuizen Peart Richter Scott Smit Smith Turner van-Rensburg Wallworth Webber Wells Worroll

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Read Neat - born England
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 December 04 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Try the National Archives of South Africa at http://www.national.archives.gov.za (cut and paste). There is a record for an Eliza Webber nee Neah (sic, could be a typo, looks as if she died in 1895).
Hope this helps,

John

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John - I have searched on this data base with no success - which archives in particular did you find the reference?   Thank you!
JUne
Ball(s) Barnes Bekker Bennett Buchanan Campher deKlerk deVilliers Dickenson Dunkley Edwards  Greenlees Helps Jones King Knoesen Marais McPherson Neat Nel Oosthuizen Peart Richter Scott Smit Smith Turner van-Rensburg Wallworth Webber Wells Worroll

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 December 04 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there  - what is the information that you need? Do you the family before or after the marriage or both!! Eliza and William and a whole lot of other Webbers are are buried in the Old Cemetery in Grahamstown.
Do you have a death notice for her at all - this will list the children from that marriage.
Send me as much info as possible  and I will see what I can find. I see that you have posted a message on the south african Mailing list which is  a very good place to start!
Ruth
Apologies for the delay but I have been away for 2 weeks
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 December 04 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!   This is a busy time and I appreciate that there is much else to do - so as and when!
What I know is that Eliza Reed Neat married William Webber on 6/12/1847 - she was aged 33 years 1 m and 7 days.   There is a strange bit of information - "Eliza did not have nose" - this information was passed on to me by my sister in law after she did some research in South Africa but she hasn't given a source.   I know of 5 children gleaned from her death notice  23/12/1893 and that of her husband, William Webber 5th June 1895.   They are
Elizabeth b 27.4.1849
Charles b 22.7.1851
Thomas b 20.7.1853
Robert James born 1 Mar/May. 1855
William John b 30.11.1857.

There is also a note that Eliza was the daughter of the 1820 Settler William Neat - but I haven't been able to verify this.

I have the Gravestone inscription for William Webber and that of his first wife Mary at the Old Grahamstown Cemetery.

Where I have been stuck for many years is with the origins of Eliza and the mystery of this "no nose" note.

I have the death notice of her father William 22 11 1836 which doesn't help with origins - "England" but does give names of children and wife named as Rhoda.   The Children are Eliza (1814 - England). Ann 1822, John 1827 - Grahamstown according to his DN and Sarah 1829.  Also death notice of Eliza's  brother John Neat (5650 28.8.1869) which gives his mother's name as Roda

I think that that is all I have!   I would be very interested in anything that you may come up with!

Best wishes for the holiday season
June

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 December 04 13:05 GMT (UK) »
hi June,
Have you had any contact with Kathryn Bax as she is researching the 1820 Webbers. I will send her a message to look at your posting and see if she can help. William Jervois at the museum in Grahamstown is also very helpful.
I will also contact a friend who is an expert in 1820 settlers.
Might not get back to you before christmas!
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 December 04 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruth
Hopefully something will come up!
June

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 December 04 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi June

I have gone through my records and I haven't got a lot to offer I'm afraid.

This is all I have:

William NEAT 1820 Settler 
   William's occupation was a Labourer.
   William was born in 1798.
   William and Susan ??  were married.
   William and Susan had the following children:

2. i. Jane NEAT  Jane  was born in 1820.

Now I assume there were other children, including Eliza, but I don't have this information.

I have looked through my Webber data and haven't any connections.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Regards
Kathryn

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 December 04 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kathryn
Every little bit helps - I am sure that one day I will uncover the details.
Best wishes for 2005
June