Author Topic: Children of Wm & Bridget Stevenson  (Read 1777 times)

Offline HeatherML

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children of Wm & Bridget Stevenson
« on: Monday 25 June 07 10:48 BST (UK) »
Has anyone found any children for William Stevenson and Bridget Murdoch, married 1851?

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Wm & Bridget Stevenson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 07 15:50 BST (UK) »
hello heather, could'nt find any children for this couple, just their marriage.

WILLIAM STEVENSON TO BRIDGET MURDOCH ON 16-1-1851 AT NEWTOWN CROMMELIN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, BALLYMENA, CO. ANTRIM.

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline HeatherML

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 07 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mary.

Heather

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 07 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hiya Heather,

I looked at the 1912 Ulster Covenant Search where there are two women from Newtown Crommelin listed Mary Irving and Marget Aitcheson ... they both signed the Covenant at 100, Wellington Street, Glasgow.

They are the only people listed when you search for Newtown Crommelin, however a further sixty four people are listed when a search is done for Newtowncrommelin. Only one was a woman, Annie Stewart, and none of the men had the Stevenson surname. There's no indication if the women I've mentioned were married or single. If they were married their maiden names may have been Stevenson.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
Newtowncrommelin was the church where that marriage took place. If they did sign the Ulster Cevenant they most likely listed a townland name or street address.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 07 17:03 BST (UK) »
Only the townland address was given. Newtowncrommelin village doesn't have too many streets :D
The townlands in the area when the village was founded in the early 1800s were Skerry East, Skerry West and Scotch Omerbane. Newtowncrommelin has approximately seventy five families, spread out over the rural district. Prior to the Presbyterian Church being built in 1826 the congregation held open air meetings in a field.

Offline HeatherML

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 07 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I'm probably on a wild goose chase. I'm trying to find the parents of Robert John Stevenson who married Sarah Helen Patterson in 1878 in Derrykeighan. I know his father was a farmer called William, but that's all. I also know there is a connection with Robert James Stevenson, born in Ireland around 1864. He married in England and had a number of children including a Quintin and a Hessie. Robert and Sarah had a daughter, Lizzie Irwin Stevenson, born in Ballymoney. There is also Edith May Stevenson who married James Mcgugan in 1906 - possibly another daughter. It's probably a complete coincidence but I feel that there must be a connection with Quintin Stevenson in Newtowncrommelin. Any ideas gratefully received.

Heather