Author Topic: Cound Parish Records - Millichip/chope  (Read 2777 times)

Offline deany70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cound Parish Records - Millichip/chope
« on: Monday 25 June 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
I wonder if I can ask a favour of someone based in Shropshire who can do a Parish look up for me.

I am trying to get my family tree up to date for my wedding in November and one of the gaps I have to fill is a marriage of Matthew Millichip and Mary - but I dont know her second name or the date.

Matthew was born in 1796, Mary in 1794 - so believe their wedding was circa 1821 - they had a son called William in 1823.

They lived in Cound all their lives so the marriage should have taken place there too.  In 1841 they are listed as Millichope. 

If anyone can help me complete this gap I will be most grateful and happy to return the favour for a London lookup?

Thanks in advance.
Dean, Pickering, Birch, Langworth, Skinner, Priest - London
Deag, Sarjeant - Birmingham
Miller - Kent
Millichip/chope - Shropshire
Brew, Taylor, Brook, Emery, Rowley - Staffordshire
Brook/e - Yorkshire
Holberton, Shilston - Devon
Durbidge, Durbage - Berkshire
Cutting, Whitmore - Suffolk
Pyatt - Essex and Birmingham
Morris, Long, Judd, Yeats - Wiltshire
Bond, Lockyer, Aish, Bulpin, Laver - Somerset

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Cound Parish Records - Millichip/chope
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 07 23:12 BST (UK) »

WOW!....this is so weird.

I've been doing some look ups in Cound (on another thread) and remember seeing your Millichope family.  What are the chances of that happening?!!

Is this the Matthew you are referring to?:

From the IGI -

MATTHEW MILLICHAP  Male         
Christening:  03 APR 1796  Cound, Shropshire, England

Parents:
Father:  WILLIAM MILLICHAP    
Mother:  SARAH

Batch No: P007981
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline deany70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 07 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lloydy

I believe it is him yes.   That entry is on the Igi, but not his marriage sadly. 

That is spooky :)

Miller - Kent
Brook/e - Yorkshire

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 07 23:29 BST (UK) »

I am in Shropshire and used to visit the Archives regularly to do look ups.  Unfortunately, I don't get chance to go there much these days, too busy with work, 3 children, husband, house etc etc etc.......... ::)

I do, however, have a huge list of Rootschat look ups to do, and when I eventually do manage to get to the Archives I could add you at the bottom of my list.  No idea how long you'll have to wait though :-\

In the meantime, here's a link to the Archives website:
http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline deany70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 07 23:39 BST (UK) »
Lloydy - Id be most grateful if you could add me to the list, I think I might have to make atrip to Cound at some point in the future :D, but anything you can provide very gratefully received.

Many thanks for hte offer.

best wishes
Miller - Kent
Brook/e - Yorkshire

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 07 23:45 BST (UK) »

Your welcome.

I do have another idea in mind aswell..................I know another Rootschat member who may also be able to help.

Watch this space :D

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 00:01 BST (UK) »

I'm sure you'll be interested to know that the name Matthew Millichop appears many times in the Shropshire County Quarter Sessions Index:

Name Mathew MILLICHIP Trade etc Juror Place Cound, – Type of document inqstn Quarter Mar 1867 Ref no QR492 Item no 300 Extn 09

Name Matthew MILLICHIP Trade etc Juror Place Cressage, – Type of document inqstn Quarter Jan 1860 Ref no QR463 Item no 261 Extn 09

Name Matthew MILLICHIP Trade etc Farmer Place Cound, – Type of document prstmt Quarter Jul 1861 Ref no QR469 Item no 19 Extn –

Name Matthew MILLICHIP Trade etc Gamekeeper Place Cound, – Type of document recogn Quarter Jul 1861 Ref no QR469 Item no 64 Extn –

Name Matthew MILLICHIP Trade etc Gamekeeper Place Cound, – Type of document recogn Quarter Jul 1861 Ref no QR469 Item no 65 Extn –

Name Matthew MILLICHIP Trade etc Gamekeeper Place Cound, – Type of document recogn Quarter Jul 1861 Ref no QR469 Item no 66 Extn –

Name Matthew MILLICHIP Trade etc Gamekeeper Place Cound, – Type of document recogn Quarter Jul 1861 Ref no QR469 Item no 67 Extn –

Name Matthew MILLICHIP Trade etc Gamekeeper Place Cound, – Type of document recogn Quarter Jul 1861 Ref no QR469 Item no 68 Extn –

Name Matthew MILLICHIP Trade etc – Place Cound: Cound Hall Lodge, – Type of document depstn Quarter Jul 1861 Ref no QR469 Item no 145 Extn –

Name Matthew MILLICHOP Trade etc Juror Place Cound, – Type of document inqstn Quarter Jun 1846 Ref no QR403 Item no 155 Extn 11

Matthew MILLICHOPE Trade etc Juror/farmer Place Cound, – Type of document offcls Quarter Jun 1879 Ref no QR542 Item no 220 Extn 082

If you do visit Cound, then I recommend a few hours in the Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury where you can see the orignal Quarter Session documents in the Reader's Room.  Wonderful!!  You just give the staff all the references and they get the documents from the vault.....a great way to spend a day, highly recommended.

Offline deany70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 09:17 BST (UK) »
Wow Lloydy

Matthew - Gamekeeper sounds like mine - what sort of things do the Quarter Sessions mention?  Is it court cases?

I will have to request those - did get the Shropshire archives to do a search a while back but these didnt come up. 

Many thanks for the info - thats brilliant! 

Miller - Kent
Brook/e - Yorkshire

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 16:32 BST (UK) »

Hello again

I'm not entirely sure what you will find in the Quarter Sessions, as I've never had to request one myself!!

Hope you have some luck with that lot!

I do have another idea in mind aswell..................I know another Rootschat member who may also be able to help.

I've had a PM from member Pete Edwards who has access to Cound parish registers on disc, and he has very kindly sent me some information via the PM system.  There's rather a lot, so I will PM it all to you too.

If you are not sure what PM's are, click on the little green scroll under my avatar, and all will be revealed ;)

Pete also said that he has been doing Millichop look ups in Cound for a member of the Curious Fox website. 

This is what he said: "It seems to be the Millichope look up season at the moment, I have just sent a load of entries to a lady who has a post on curiousfox, she to is searching Cound for her Millichaps"

Is that member you?  If not then check it out, you never know you may have a connection!!!! http://www.curiousfox.com/

Shall send you a PM now ;)