Author Topic: Inquest Report in Newspaper please  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Rosepetel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inquest Report in Newspaper please
« on: Tuesday 26 June 07 01:07 BST (UK) »
My husband's great-grandfather James Griffiths died on 4th April 1896 at 4 Overt Terrace, Cwmfelin, Llangwnwyd Middle.  His death certificate shows in the informant column that "Certificate received from Hywel Cuthbertson, Coroner for the Western Division of Glamorganshire.  Inquest held on 8th April 1896".  I have contact the appropriate records office but they do not have the details, and suggest a newspaper article is my best bet.  I believe the inquest might have been reported in any of the following newspapers.  Glamorgan Gazette, Western Mail, South Wales Echo, probably on microfilm in a reference library.  Can anyone help, please?  We don't know why there would have been an inquest, other than he died of Syncope, which I believe means that he fell down in a faint and apparently didn't get up again.  Why would this necessitate an inquest? Many thanks.  Rosie Griffiths ???

Offline Rowley

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest Report in Newspaper please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 07 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosepetel, I don't know about 1896, but the law is that in the event of a sudden death it is reported to a coroner's officer( a policeman), and an inquest is held as to the cause of death, even if foul play is not suspected, Rowley
Davey in Upper Machen, Bedwas, Cascade Glam
Owen Merthyr,Gelligaer area.
Thomas Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil.
Williams,Llangynwyd, Pengam Mon and Glam.
Bevan Mynyddislwyn Pengam and Gelligaer area.
Ellery and Trotman Wooton under Edge,Bristol and South Wales