Author Topic: Can anyone find them?  (Read 13254 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Can anyone find them?
« on: Tuesday 26 June 07 09:05 BST (UK) »
Need two bits of information for a big mystery.
First, William McCURDY was given as 14 in 1901 census & born County Londonderry. In 1902 he enlisted in Army in Scotland so he might be a little older than census age. I wonder if he was born in Co. Antrim and not Derry. Can anyone find a birth for him?
Thought William's mother would have been DALE as Dale 'aunts'? reared him but that doesn't fit with his marriage certificate.
Second, when William married in 1909 he gave parents as William McCurdy and Mary Pollock. Can anyone find a marriage for them?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find them?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 14:45 BST (UK) »
hello agnadowey, no luck with mccurdy (tried different spelling) this is the nearest i came, but no william birth.

marriage   MARIAH POLLOCK TO JOSEPH MCCORD 19-4-1866 CHURCHTOWN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, TAMLAGHT O'CRILLY, MAGHERAFELT, CO.DERRY.

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for trying Mary. I'm seriously doubting that a) William McCurdy was born in Co. Derry, b) he was 14 in 1901 & c) his parents were William McCurdy & Mary Pollock. Nothing seems to add up on this one. I think he was possibly born Co. Antrim, was really older than 14 in 1901 & mother was maybe Dale. The problem is how to prove any of it without a birth certificate.

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 15:14 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey... Your William is not one of my McCurdys though I do have a few. Are you familiar with John McCurdy, he is the McCurdy family one name oracle, though he doesn't surf this particular forum. If you can't turn anything up I could put you in touch.

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 15:47 BST (UK) »
just thought you might want to check this one out.

marriage ROBERT MCCURDY TO ELIZABETH DALE 20-1-1860 @ GLENARM PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH,PARISH TICKMACREVAN, LARNE, CO. ANTRIM

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 16:23 BST (UK) »
Mary- thank you again. The McCurdy/Dale marriage is certainly something to follow up on.

Terry- yes please. Any help is much appreciate. Just to confuse things there were 2 William McCurdys killed in World War I in this area. Have notes on 'other' William and he was originally from Co. Antrim.
The William McCurdy I'm trying to trace was listed in 1901 census at Tamneymore, Errigal Parish (outside Garvagh) aged 14, farm servant, with two spinster 'aunts' named Dale. The Dales were Church of Ireland and William is on the Roll of Honour in their church.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 18:23 BST (UK) »
Mary- thought the McCurdy/Dale marriage sounded familiar and after a bit of digging through notes found I'd already come across them. Seem to be a large Dale connection in that part of Co. Antrim and Elizabeth belongs to them unfortunately. Also, 1860 is far too early for a marriage as John Dale & Isabella Johnston (parents of possibly mothers) were only married in 1863. Thanks anyway for trying.

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 18:39 BST (UK) »
PM sent to Aghadowey.

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline mossy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.