Author Topic: william tuckwood  (Read 2742 times)

Offline tucky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william tuckwood
« on: Tuesday 26 June 07 09:35 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my Great-Grandfather,William Tuckwood.He was married to Lucy Mary Tissington on the 24th August 1886 at Mansfield Reg. office. Age given as 30yrs.He died in Leicester on the 15th Feb 1899, age given as 45yrs.They had a son William Graham Tuckwood born 6th June 1889.Died Dec.q 1962 aged 73yrs in Leicester.He married Kate Dyer at St.Margaret's church in Leicester on the 26th Dec 1914.He had a son William Jarvis Tuckwood born 17th June 1919.He married Gertrude Emily Pinnell.There is no record of William on any of the census.The only record of Lucy is on the 1901 when she was a widow.They had two daughters Lucy Rebecca and Helen or Ellen.
Can anybody help.
Bye for now Margaret

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: william tuckwood
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 09:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome Tucky !

Challenge you have here !

Can you let us have all details from the 1886 marriage Cert please ? (Occupations, Father's name and occupation, witnesses etc)

Also if you have William G's Birth Cert of 1889 - what else does it tell us about his Father William snr ?

:)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
nice to see you here. Mike did pass on your pm but despite strugging for a while with it, neither of us came to any sound conclusions.

Newfy there is a little more info on this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,235979.0.html

But witnesses etc are a good idea. I can't get beyond the William born c.1849 to George the shoemaker. I wonder if he adjusted his age because of a much younger wife?

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heather  :)

I've searched Pingle Street (where Lucy and kids were in 1901) in the old All Saints District in 1891 - no sign of them ....

No combinations of an 1889 William with mother Lucy etc is getting hits .....
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DoreenC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
 Heather,
 You have just confirmed what I've kept coming back to. The William born 1849 Notts., father George and mother Rebecca. Father and son are both shoe finishers (marriage and birth certificate info also), but I haven't been able to find this William after the 1871. I know that people sometimes 'adjusted' their age either up or down when they married, so he could be the William Maggie is looking for. All other possible William's have been married ( bachelor on marriage to Lucy), father nor George or wrong occupation etc. as far as I can see.
 The marriage witnesses were Matthew Salmon and Priscilla Stocks. I've found a connection of sorts  between the Salmon family, not Matthew, and Lucy Tissington. Lucy Tissington's own family history doesn't appear to be a problem.
 William' and Lucy's eldest daughter, born Leicester 1892, was named Lucy Rebecca.

Newfy,
 William Graham Tuckwood was born 6 June 1889, 10 Court?, Church Gate, Leicester from what Maggie tells me. I've tried to find this address in the 1891 census so that I could look through every image covering that district in case it had been missed when the census was transcribed, but haven't managed to locate Church Gate.

Thanks to you both for trying to help Maggie with this.
Regards,
Doreen
Crapper of Sheffield
Gregory of  Birchover,Derbyshire
Popplewell of Darton/Birstall
Cox of Staffordshire, Staveley, Derbys.
Partridge of Staffs/Gloucs.
Layton of Staffs., South Yorks.

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 22:45 BST (UK) »
Greeting’s Doreen & other searchers …..

None of your Tuckwood Family appeared on my
INDEX Census returns for both City & County…..Sorry

Districts for Church-Gate 1891.:~

1891 > Leicestershire.> St Margaret’s .

District No. 85. = Even No’s 28 ~ 134.Including all courts.
District No. 84. = Odd No’s 1 ~ (Page 10~ 12 for courts 1 ~ 7.)
District. No. 86. South Church-Gate. Including all courts
District No. 87. Lower Church-Gate. Including all courts.

Another possibility would be that William was over seas fighting the wars ?
1st. Boar War,1880~84. Sudan War. 1896~97. 2nd Boar War 1899~ 1902.
His family in Barracks some where. ?

Or Lucy just did not know how to fill in the Census return forms
Or could not write ? 
Did Lucy sign the Marriage register with her own signature ? 

MIKE.   
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline DoreenC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
 Thanks for the Church Gate district numbers and checking the 1891 index. It makes searching so much harder when you don't know the area and I don't know Leicester at all. :-[
 I don't know whether or not Lucy could sign her own name, or who registered William G's (1889) birth; will have to wait for Maggie to reply.
Thank you for your help.
regards,
Doreen
Crapper of Sheffield
Gregory of  Birchover,Derbyshire
Popplewell of Darton/Birstall
Cox of Staffordshire, Staveley, Derbys.
Partridge of Staffs/Gloucs.
Layton of Staffs., South Yorks.

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 June 07 18:50 BST (UK) »
I thought it useful to sum up at this point.

Maggie's William was born c.1854 (from marriage and death records), married in Mansfield 1886 to Lucy and son William Graham Tuckwood born Leicester 1889. He was a shoe finisher and son of George Tuckwood, also a shoe finisher.

I have been looking at possible William Tuckwoods on the census born within about 5 years of our dates,  and here is what I found. feel free to add/comment!

William c.1857-1861 (age varies on census) Asfordby Leics to Thomas/Matthew? and Jane. Too young maybe and still single in 1891, working as an ironstone labourer.

William c.1854 Burton on the Wolds Leics. This is part of my family and he was married to Clara in 1891/1901

William S c.1851 Old Dalby, mother Elizabeth Tuckwood unmarried c.1822 Waltham Leics.
By 1861 Eliz had married a John Woodford and he is down as son in law. He is married by 1881, in 1891 in lodgings but still listed as married and working as a joiner

William J c.1855 Newington Surrey, son of John and Ann. Still single in 1891, alive and married in 1901, is a leather cutter and doesn't seem to have strayed out of London

William W c.1855 Nottingham. this William was baptised to William and Mary Ann (Whewall) who married in 1852.
William Whewall Tuckwoods death was registered Mar 1881 age 26

William c.1859 Thrumpton Notts, I can only see him in 1871, but I think can be discounted as his father is William and an ag lab.

William c.1849 Nottingham , son of George and Rebecca. Cannot see him after 1871

Then there is this William, who only appears in 1881. Someone else may care to look but I can see no marriage for him or a trace of his family afterwards.

RG11 3359
7 Pump Street Nottingham
the family are listed twice on the same page
Firstly
William Tuckwood lodger mar 28 Nottingham
Elizabeth wife 24 Nottingham
Sarah dau 3 Nottingham

then immediately below that at the same address
William Tuckwood head mar 27 shoe finisher Nottingham
Elizabeth wife 21 Leicestershire
Sarah Ann dau 3 Nottingham

Make of that what you will, except he cannot be the William W Tuckwood born c1855, as the census was taken in April, and he died Mar q 1881

More to follow .....  ;)

Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 June 07 19:01 BST (UK) »
In short, I seem to have discounted every William except the William born to George and Rebecca - who fits in all respects but age - and the mystery William, shoe finisher in Nottingham 1881

What struck me on my travels is that there is another birth of a William Graham Tuckwood

Birth William Graham Tuckwood Dec 1886 Nottingham 7b 367

This William was buried age 5 weeks at Nottingham St Catherine's 20/12/1886, abode Eldon Street
(notts FHS burial transcriptions).

Eldon Street was in Sneinton and the only Tuckwood families I see there 1881/1891 are those of George and Rebecca, and their son James and his wife Selina. In 1881 James was living at Eldon Place.

Maggie I think you need the birth cert. of that first William Graham Tuckwood. If he proves to belong to your William and Lucy then we have a Nottingham connection and it geographically tips the balance in favour of him being the son of George and Rebecca. It is quite possible that the newly weds lodged with family until after the birth of their first child, especially if that so quickly followed the marriage?

As Maggie hasn't logged on for a while, I will await her opinion!

Heather