Author Topic: John Venables 1802 - 1805  (Read 3875 times)

Offline johnven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Venables 1802 - 1805
« on: Wednesday 27 June 07 05:55 BST (UK) »
I'm attempting to find information on my gg grandfather, John Venables, who I believe was born 1802 - 1805.
John was convicted in the Old Bailey 14/2/1833 and sentenced to 7 years transportation for receiving 4 trusses of hay - value 7/6. He departed Portsmouth 4/7/1833 on the convict ship "Aurora II" and arrived in Sydney 3/11/1833. His death certificate says his parents were John and Ellen though there is a possibility that his mother was actually Mary Ellen.
John was married to Lydia when he was convicted and she was travelling to Australia in 1836 on the "Columbia" when she took ill and was hospitalised in Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania) where she died.
John married Martha Hutchinson in 1839, and they had 9 children before his death in 1859.
That's where I'm stuck! I've checked the IGI's and any other sources I can access reasonably from here with no success thus far. Just hoping someone can help or suggest some way forward.

John Venables

Moderator Comment: John is not sure whether the birth was in Hertfordshire or Herefordshire.
If anybody can help, then please answer on the Hertfordshire board,
to avoid duplication of efforts. Thanks :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,240067.0.html