Author Topic: offaly(kings)  (Read 7216 times)

Offline sara c

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
offaly(kings)
« on: Wednesday 27 June 07 13:34 BST (UK) »
hello,I'm looking for a thomas cannon married to Matilda graham (there could be variations to the spelling)they are believed to have come from kings county,ireland.Thomas was a blacksmith.they had a son William cannon born circa1815 and migrated to Australia sometime before 1852 as he married a Margaret Egan  also from kings county .in Melbourne Australia and settled and lived in a small village Greendale in Victoria.
can anyone help as i can't seem to find Williams parents this end in Australia and being of good Irish catholics ,there must be more than just William.
thanking you
if anyone could help
Sara
Cannon,Graham,Egan

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: offaly(kings)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 07 09:29 BST (UK) »
Had a look for both Cannons and Grahams in Offaly but don't see anything on either of the folk you mention.
However, on the LDS website, there is a very close match:- of a William John Cannon being baptised  on 30 NOV 1820 at  Blaris, Lisburn, Antrim, Ireland.  Thomas Cannon is listed as the father.
The name Graham crops up a lot in Northern Ireland too, so I'd wonder if the Offaly link is accurate.

Offline sara c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
thankyou for replying.i have often thought that also as William's wife people , the Egans came from Kings county so the family may have presumed he did too(when they filled in his death certificate that is).I'll keep looking and i'll persue the northern ireland area.
once again thanking you for your help.
sara
Cannon,Graham,Egan

Offline Stable lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 13:41 BST (UK) »
I am doing my Family tree . I find on my mothers side  the name of Cantwell . From what I can find is John Cantwell born 1792 in Kings Co Offaly. He married Bridet Brennan who was born in Co Offaly 1792. . The name is linked to us via their son John who was born in Kings in 1818.  The family moved to Liverpool. If any other details are need after the moved please let me know. 
If any one can help it would help me and other members of the Family in this link.

Offline cuckoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
rumour is that my ggrandfather thomas williams was a soldier in ireland approx 1868 when he met mary ? from parsonstown offaly,they ran off ,turned up in india where they had sarah,thomas and hugh then to oswestry approx 1880 and had maggie,florence,elizabeth (my gran) and possibly more children,maggie married charlie egan,another irish link doe this ring any bells.
dorricott,williams.egan.owen.tynan,hunt

Offline TerraChild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 December 10 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sara been a long time  :)
Had a thought about Thomas, the photocopies you sent said he was a blacksmith so started reading up on them, thats when i came across info on travelling forges around that time
No proof either way obviously
just after looking up surrounding towns, parishes then counties and nadda.
Got to thinking they might be travelers cause of the lack of documentation on Cannon before Aus
I know its a leap but thought worth considering

MerryChristmas
Jordan

Offline TerraChild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sara,
I saw a post by a cousin, he thinks William was from County Cork

Offline suebq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 03:34 GMT (UK) »
I have just seen your message on Rootschat about William Cannon plus all the replies you have had, I realise this was some time ago but am wondering if you have found out any more as to when William may have arrived in Aussie. I am currently doing some research for his GGrandaughter who also has a cousin in The States who is trying to locate some information, he thought he may have been a convict but so far in my looking have not found anything re that  only the information on Public Trees on Ancestry and some of the roots chat messages. I have William's marriage certificate which I though would give me more info but it seems in 1852 the Aust certificates were not all that helpful, I might suggest that my friend gets Williams death cert , however that is only as accurate as the information given at the time of registration.  If you are able to help me in any way my email address is *
Take care  Susie Coleman

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Webb,Pike,Gladwell,Moore Dykes  most in Suffolk
Mcallister,McLennan, Mackenzie, McDonald,Mcleod, McInnes lived in Scotland and Isle of Skye and Australia
Loughlin, Lancashire Liverpool
Lane, Seaborne, Stepney Middlesex
Freeman England, New Zealand, Australia
McDowell, Meade England Durham and Plumstead