Author Topic: Tatum family in Suffolk  (Read 1126 times)

Offline lizzy.pike

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tatum family in Suffolk
« on: Wednesday 27 June 07 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
i am trying to trace my husbands grandmothers family.no one left alive to ask now. :'(
Hilda Rose Tatum,born about 1905 in Thorndon,nr Eye,suffolk, England,(there were a few sisters and they worked in service)
she married a Frederick William Woods born about 1905 in Mill Hill London ,and then worked in service in london.
They had 3 children in Hendon,Vera,Violet Brenda,and Robert.They lived in Goldsmiths Avenue in Hendon,london.
Any help would be great as i can not find anything on the census's.

Best wishes and Thanks in advance.
Liz

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Tatum family in Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 07 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The latest available census is 1901, before Hilda's birth.

I can see a possible birth:
Hilda Rose Tatum
June quarter 1904
Hoxne registration district
Volume 4a page 1003

If you think this could be her (but Hoxne isn't the registration district for Thorndon), you could get her birth certificate to find out her parents' names  ( can be done online, price £7, http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/). From there, we should hopefully be able to find them in the 1901 census.

Unless of course you know names of elder siblings who would have been before 1901, or siblings born after 1911?

For now, Tatum being not very common, I can see 2 other births in the Hoxne registration district:
William John Tatum, March quarter 1903
Frederick Thomas Tatum, Sep quarter 1906 
Ring any bells?

Concerning Frederick William Woods ... you'll need his marriage cert to establish his father's name to start with. Do you know when he married Hilda?  :)

(edited to remove typo)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tatum family in Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 07 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
You can search the full BMD index on www.ancesty.co.uk  Scroll down on the home page and click the link.  It is free.   If you find a suitable marriage for Hilda then you can cross check it and see if there is a Frederick Woods with the same reference number in that quarter.   You can order the certificate online or contact the local register office.
Their children should be fairly easy to find as the mother's maiden name is given in the index at that time.   
Have fun!
Andrea