Author Topic: Surname: ANCHEN ~ anyone know its' origins?  (Read 4973 times)

Offline Karma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Those were the days we will remember
    • View Profile
Re: Surname: ANCHEN ~ anyone know its' origins?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all......I have now found the marriage for Alexander Anchen and Martha Foster/Forster in Australia. The marriage is recorded under Auchen which is understandable due to the 'n' & 'u' reading similarly.

For the record, Alexander Anchen was born in France. Still doesn't confirm the surname origin though. :)

Kind regards.....Karma
All Census information is Crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

People come into our lives for.. a reason...a season...or a lifetime......Anon.

Offline apg305

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 March 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
The Anchen record you have is as follows:

6 June 1882 between Alexander Anchen, bachelor, born Lower Pyrrenees, South France to Martha Ann Foster (should be Forster by a register of corrected entries).  Martha had been married before but had not heard or from her husband for 9 years.  Alexander was a Carter, aged 40 years when married and his usual address was St Arnaud, Victoria, Australia.  He listed his parents as Charles Anchen and Therese Anchen (maiden name not known) and his father was a farmer.

They had 3 children that I know of:  Eugene (1884 - 1952), John Oscar (1886 - 1973) and Edward Pierre (1888.  Edward Pierre married Jean Agnes (or Agnes Jean) Stuart and left her with 3 children, 2 of whom she had to put into care.  One of those was my stepdaughter's father-in-law, and I am presently researching the family tree for her.  I have a bit more info if you are interested in the family.

Offline aj1991

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 June 23 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hi! Anchen is Basque of origin. The name was changed from Anchetta. I hope this helps