Author Topic: Help with 'John Dickety' - the early years  (Read 903 times)

Offline rgeldard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with 'John Dickety' - the early years
« on: Thursday 09 December 04 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking to track dowm both the birth (and parentage) and 1871 census information for JOHN DICKETY - according to all later census returns, born in Overton, Hampshire.

I have tried the usual suspects (Ancestry & FreeBMD), but not having much joy with anything earlier than 1881 - which listed him as being 34 and living in an army barracks with his wife & children.

I have found another John Dickety from the 1871 census, but the age is a couple of years out, and the birth location is listed as 'Southampton'.

If anyone can offer any help or suggestion, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Richard
Butler - Ramsgate (Kent)
Shepherd - West Mersea (Essex)
Tettersell - Brighton (Sussex)
Buss - Maidstone (Kent)
Geldard - Leeds (Yorkshire)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 'John Dickety' - the early years
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 04 20:26 GMT (UK) »
I may be able to throw some light on this, just possibly. Until fairly recent times the County of Hampshire was often called Southampton [as opposed to Northampton]. May old Victorian maps show it so.
The 1881 census gives another John Dickety - age 27 then, wife Mary A. and a baby 2 months old.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk